Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Re: pick 3 emerging contries to invest in

find companies in those countries you like that trade on the american exchanges and buy those. that way you at least get some sort of a fairish deal on accounting practices. otherwise you just get screwed until the country becomes legit.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vietnam is going to make some huge gains, although I don't know how to invest in it.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=588

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that there's a closed end Vietnam fund you can buy. Anyway, I think we're all making this a little more complicated then it has to be since buying an emerging market mutual fund or ETF is a pretty easy thing to do and then you don't have to worry about making a mistake as far as picking particular countries to invest in.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:40 AM

COSTA RICA
PANAMA
CANADA
Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Vietnam is going to make some huge gains, although I don't know how to invest in it.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=588

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that there's a closed end Vietnam fund you can buy. Anyway, I think we're all making this a little more complicated then it has to be since buying an emerging market mutual fund or ETF is a pretty easy thing to do and then you don't have to worry about making a mistake as far as picking particular countries to invest in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, after some research it looks like the Vietnamese closed-end funds sell on the London or Dublin exchanges so it doesn't look like it would be easy for US investors to buy into them.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 PM

BRIC - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRIC

Brazil, Russia, India, China.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM

I've read about the industry revolution; I've read about booming economies. But living in the US, I don't have the opportunity to witness such changes. When I visited Vietnam last summer, I literally see a growing economy in front of me [this only applies for Ho Chi Minh City since I didn't visit other big cities].

The country is growing at a rapid rate; even the villages are starting to get more technologically. VN has a surplus of workers sitting around doing nothing and just can't wait to find a job any at manufacturing company. Wall Street obviously doesn't know this because they don't live in the villages.

Despite the booming economy, I would be very cautious when investing in VN. I don't know if the government officials are legit but you can say that about any country. The volatile of its stock market is crazy and although there are some great businesses [natural monopolies], I wouldn't feel comfortable reading its financial statements because these people can make Enron looks like the kiddie game down the street.

Nevertheless, I hope VN continues to grow because Thailand is raping us and I would like this to stop haha.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:26 PM

brazil is my number one pick. up 30%ytd and up 50%ytd adjusted for the fx exposure. they just continue to keep on rocking down there.

vietnam had a sick year in 2006 (up over 100%), but for 2007 i think theyre in the single digit returns. what scares me most is they total market cap on the ENTIRE exchange is just $3bio with around 50 companies listed...and TWO of those companies account for HALF of the market cap of the entire exchange!!!! but if youre interested, there is a fund that trades in london that tracks the vietnam exchange.

im starting to hunt around eastern europe right now.... im looking at serbia and the ukraine right now and they seem EXTREMELY interesting....just have to find a way to invest in them.

everyone is touting the middle east but theres just toooooo much political instability there for my liking.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm not suggesting you do this with your own money, but my emerging markets allocation is in China, China, and China.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 PM

Brazil, Russia, India, China.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 PM

Iran, after we bomb them into oblivion there will be many new opportunities.

Jimbo