Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 07:59 AM

Default debt collector calls - debt is 10 years old - WTF?

had a call today from a debt collection agency - I didn't know what it would be so I called them, and I owe the Electric company $27 from 1997 - back whe I was living at a place with two other guys. One bought a house and we moved in with him, so I effectively dropped off the grid for a bit there and the Electric Company didn't follow me

I wasn't going to give out payment info over the phone but told them to mail me something - but it's been 10 years - do I have to pay that?

Think I'll use a money order - I'm paranoid about identity theft.

[censored] - took them 10 years and they called a number that I didn't have then - so somehow they located me thru some friggen database or cold-called me - shoulda never returned the call - ah well

will probably just pay it - not worth the regular hassle for $27 bucks. But WTF?

rb
Old 05-22-2007, 08:09 AM

Default Re: debt collector calls - debt is 10 years old - WTF?

That is strange. In the UK we have some sort of law that means if you have a debt and haven't made any payment against it within 6 years then the debt is nulled.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:11 AM

You're freaking out over 27 bucks?

They sold your debt to some collection agency that has automated searching for people. Did you recently get a phone in your own name? If you want to mess with them see if they'll take 15 bucks then send them a check for 10.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're freaking out over 27 bucks?

They sold your debt to some collection agency that has automated searching for people. Did you recently get a phone in your own name? If you want to mess with them see if they'll take 15 bucks then send them a check for 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

They called my cell - I've had it for years, but not when I lived at that address - so either they called every whiskeytown (or real name as the case may be) - in the area or cross referenced me somewhere else -

they didn't have my current address though - they got enough to get my cell phone (only contact number) and an address I had 10 years ago but not the current one -

I'll pay it, but I don't want my identity stolen either.

rb
Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll pay it[...]

[/ QUOTE ]
-EV if u don't have to; they wouldn't pay up to you if they were in ur debt from 10 yrs ago.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll pay it, but I don't want my identity stolen either.

[/ QUOTE ]

DO NOT PAY IT!

I'm not an expert in this but im almost certain that any adverse effects from missed payments/defaulting and such drop off your credit record after 7 years. By paying the amount, I believe that a new adverse mark can appear on your credit report.

Again, I am not an expert on missing payments and such so do your research first. There is a webboard to that specializes in this type of stuff by I forget what it is off the top of my head.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:02 AM

ditto to what cubs says.

paying anything to that debt will negatively affect your credit rating. it is so old that it is now off your credit score now.

generally credit agencies buy old debts for pennies on the dollar and see if they can get people to collect on them. and like cubs, im not a credit expert, just read some personal financial pages on occasion.

here's a drop dead letter
Old 05-22-2007, 10:25 AM

WTF?

So if you rack up several tens of Ks of credit card debt, then skip town and come back 7 years later, they're SOL and you have a clean slate?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF?

So if you rack up several tens of Ks of credit card debt, then skip town and come back 7 years later, they're SOL and you have a clean slate?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i think this is to some degree accurate.

but believe it or not, disappearing off the Earth for 7 years may be a little harder than one might imagine.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:49 AM

First, you should pay any debt that you incur.

However, the above advice from Cubs is 100% correct. They cannot legally report the collection to any credit bureau as it stands. There is a 7 year limitation from LAST ACTIVITY. If you pay without an agreement, they can and probably will report it. It is important that you come to an agreement, in writing, with this agency that in return for your payment, they will not report any such activity to any credit reporting agency OR that they will not reassign this debt to anyone. If they balk or say they can't put that in writing, tell them to go [censored] themselves and to stop calling you. Once in writing, if they violate that agreement, or if they are reporting the collection now, it is an easy lawsuit for violation of the FCRA. The law is clear and the penalties are set in stone. $1000 per violation.

They are scumbags and you must deal with them with that in mind. Everything in writing. They wont be able to force you to pay, however, you should pay if you owe.