Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 01:22 AM

Default fighting fatigue

I have played online mostly for the past half year, but now I'm getting into the B&M scene again. The problem is that I can't handle more than maybe 4-5 hours, which is pretty embarrassing. Mostly it's because I get hungry, but even after I eat I get tired in about an hour.

I was an athlete all through college and I'm only 33 now! On top of that I have a BSEE so my mind shouldn't be getting so tired so quickly because I was used to thinking and problem solving. I do pay attention to every hand and try to put everyone on a hand, observe betting patterns, look for tells etc... I wonder if I'm doing too much thinking/observing during the hand to where I get a bit worn out mentally? Most flops have at least 5 players in th ehand. I remember when I first started playing NL years ago(literally my first 5ish sessions). When I stopped playing I was WIPED OUT big time from concentrating so much so I know that using your mind like that does wear a person down to some extent.

What do players do away from the table to keep from getting fatigued mentally and physically? How in the hell do the tourney players play such long sessions?!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:23 AM

Default Re: fighting fatigue

[ QUOTE ]

What do players do away from the table to keep from getting fatigued mentally and physically? How in the hell do the tourney players play such long sessions?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Airborn!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2006, 01:40 AM

I have airborn which you're supposed to take at the first sign of a cold. Is that what you're talking about?

I was also wondering if there were any types of mental drills that a person can do or that people do to stay sharp?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:49 AM

I usually "take a hand off" that I'm not in every 3 or 4 hands to relax a bit. I'll still watch casually, but I'm not counting the pot or trying hard to put people on hands.

That's pretty bad to get tired after only 4-5 hours at only age 33. I'm a lot older than that, and I usually have to force myself away from the table (if I haven't busted out) after 6 or 7 hours. Maybe you're just bored. Move up in stakes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I usually have the opposite problem, especially if it was a winning session. The adrenaline buzz lasts for a couple hours after I get home.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:55 AM

Actually now that I think about it, it's true that the stakes are boring and that I can play longer in bigger games or in games that are more action. Unfortunately the next step up in NL is from $1-2 to $5-10 and I don't have a $20,000 bankroll!

FWIW I play every day, or about 6 days a week.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:10 AM

Modafinil 100mg
Old 10-25-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do players do away from the table to keep from getting fatigued mentally and physically?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that regular cardiovascular exercise helps a lot in improving my ability to function up to my capabilities. Also, staying away from greasy foods helps to avoid "food coma." That said...

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that I can't handle more than maybe 4-5 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds pretty normal. If more than 5% of the population could do any sustained mental activity for 5+ hours straight without a dropoff in performance I would be shocked. And even if you could handle playing 10 hour sessions 6 days a week, I think you'd be putting yourself at serious risk of burning out.

And if all else fails, there's always ritalin.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:45 AM

where do you play? Most places go from 1-2 or 2-5. Of course im an idiot and ive only played live once which was this past weekend in AC. I pulled a 22 hour session my second time around. A lot of coffee, soda, roast beef sandwiches, and restoom breaks did it for me. that and sleeping for 6 hours the night before.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That's pretty bad to get tired after only 4-5 hours at only age 33.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I have exactly the same problem, I get fatigued and get a headache after about 4-5 hours as well, and I NEVER get headaches anytime but when playing poker.

I am an ER physician and work 10 hours shifts where I am constantly running around doing something mentally taxing, and usually don't have time to eat. And I almost never come home fatigued from work. But poker does it almost every time. So for me at least, it is not the thinking or the lack of eating. It has to be something else, at least for me.

I have come to the conclusion that it is the eye strain and maybe the sitting in one place that does it to me, as it seems like the only other variables.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:34 AM

I find that if I eat sensibly after 5 hours or so (not something like a burger..more like grilled chicken sandwich or fruit plate), avoid even occasional beer, and stick to continuous water to keep myself hydrated, I'm good for 10-12 hours. Even the frequent bathroom breaks necessitated by the constant water help, since it gets me up to stretch the legs at least once an hour. Also, you don't HAVE to concentrate hard on observing EVERY hand you're not in. Just casually observe maybe one hand an orbit (may not be able to afford that luxury in shorthanded game).