Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 04:21 PM

Default Re: What I wish ANY politician would say about terrorism

I think another point this is missing is the affects of terroism, outside of acutal death numbers. Whether or not is possible, I understand a mojor goal of terrorists to be the overthrow of our government/way of life. Should this goal be allowed to be acheived, it would change the very definition of life, as many Americans view it.

just my 2c
Old 11-03-2006, 05:00 PM

You don't think we could save 3,000 lives per year if we dropped hundreds of billions of dollars into it?

So, so wrong.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:50 PM

I definitely agree with you but anyone saying anything close to that would be commiting political suicide.

I think if you look at the 9-11 attacks, while terrible, were achieved after years of planning in an environment whre the U.S. population, and to a lesser exten the FBI and CIA did not take it really that seriously.

So I think it is hard to say. We have tried the Bush approach wehre the respone is to basically go on a war footing at both home and abroad, and I don't know if that is neceassary. Especially when you look at how ineffective it has been (War in Iraq, preperation for Katrina like national disasters). It will be terrible if a terroirst group gets a nuclear weapon, but I think the reality is going to be that there is always going to be a chance that it is going to happen, no matter what we do (short of killing everyone taht could be a potential terorst), and I think our approach thus far has been overreactionary so far (foriegn policy wise), in some ways good (FBI and CIA actually doing their jobs on terrorists), but in some ways too complacent (airline safety has gotten so much attention when there is in my mind 0% chnace that a terrorist will ever take control of an airplane now that U.S> passenengers know the stakes, but port security is still a joke).
Old 11-03-2006, 08:13 PM

why not?

culture of fear is good
Old 11-03-2006, 08:57 PM

It's almost impossible for a politician to say that because if after he says it, something happens, he's finished. I hear people on the radio say, every day, that the illegal immigrant/border with Mexico issue is a security issue. How many terrorists are Mexican?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:02 PM

G"o back to the 1950's through early 70's and look at those cars. With seatbelts, they are much safer than the cars of today. They had more mass and stronger frames. We don't have that today"

Wouldn't, then, things be much worse without government mandated seat belts?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:12 PM

I'm pretty sure the only way that anyone could disagree with you is if they first admitted that their goals are something other than saving lives.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's almost impossible for a politician to say that because if after he says it, something happens, he's finished. I hear people on the radio say, every day, that the illegal immigrant/border with Mexico issue is a security issue. How many terrorists are Mexican?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many Pakistanis or Saudis have used the US/Mexico border to get acroos undetected? That is the problem.