Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Indian-owned businesses

I don't know if this is happening where you guys live, but I live in CT and I'm seeing this more and more. A local small business is bought out by an Indian family. The most popular seem to be small package stores and convenience stores.

Then, all the staff is fired and the family runs the business themselves. Also, a lot of product is removed and the store is so barren that it looks like they're going out of business.

Does anyone think that this might be something other than just business decisions? I always felt like these businesses could be fronting terrorism or money-laundering activities or something. (maybe I just watch too much 24, lol) I dunno, it just doesn't seem to be a profitable business model to me.

Is this all in my head? Is anyone else noticing this? If so, would you call it a "problem"?

I realize this is a pretty random post even by OOT's standards, but I am curious as to exactly what is going on in situations like this. It's probably nothing, but it just seems weird to me.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Indian-owned businesses

Wow.

Xenophobe much?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:37 PM

in my experience the stores are only barren for a month or two while they decide what all they need to stock up on.

and of course they clean house, that's why these businesses are so profitable.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:41 PM

I know. Happening all over NY as well, but I won't go into much more detail because the usually masturbatory, college-aged group on this forum can turn PC really rapidly.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know. Happening all over NY as well, but I won't go into much more detail because the usually masturbatory, college-aged group on this forum can turn PC really rapidly.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i lived in NYC, i noticed a large network of terrorists driving cabs. what better way to scope out new targets then to have an intimate knowledge of the streets.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't be like that. I actually look forward to your posts because you bring an opposing viewpoint to most arguments. I don't think anyone gets mad about your opinions, it's just that you get like a dog on a bone with the topics. I hope you can find a happy medium.

Aside from the many issues in your post, I don't see how you don't think this isn't a profitable business model. Firing staff and working the store themselves reduces employment costs. Slimming down the inventory is a good way to improve cash flow. Ambience is not an important factor of a stop n' rob.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if this is happening where you guys live, but I live in CT and I'm seeing this more and more. A local small business is bought out by an Indian family. The most popular seem to be small package stores and convenience stores.

Then, all the staff is fired and the family runs the business themselves. Also, a lot of product is removed and the store is so barren that it looks like they're going out of business.

Does anyone think that this might be something other than just business decisions? I always felt like these businesses could be fronting terrorism or money-laundering activities or something. (maybe I just watch too much 24, lol) I dunno, it just doesn't seem to be a profitable business model to me.

Is this all in my head? Is anyone else noticing this? If so, would you call it a "problem"?

I realize this is a pretty random post even by OOT's standards, but I am curious as to exactly what is going on in situations like this. It's probably nothing, but it just seems weird to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahaahah wow - like, no dude, not a front for terrorism possibly front for money laundering but highly unlikely. WTF?

-Al
Old 11-30-2006, 03:39 PM

These are from very astute observations and I think it's a major problem. Please keep on top of this developing problem and keep us all informed.

wtf...this is a stupid suggestion to make...