Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Made straight -- now what? $3R FT hand

From yesterday's $3R on Pokerstars. Six left in the tournament, blinds at 30K/60K. I have over 1.8M, Villain has me covered by about 200K, and others in the hand have over 1M.

Villain seems to be decent, although he has tried to limp a lot of mediocre hands (suited aces, low to middle pocket pairs, lower suited and off-suit broadways) when standard pre-flop raises are taking down the blinds most of the time. My image is probably fairly aggressive. I came into the final table as the short stack with under 1M, and have clawed my way up mainly with steals and re-steals, and a few flop bets or raises.

2 limpers, one UTG, one in CO. Mojo completes the SB with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB checks.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot: 258K)

Mojo leads out with 200K, folded to Villain in CO, who calls.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Mojo bets 500K. Villain takes a few seconds, and calls.

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Mojo ?????
Old 03-13-2006, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Made straight -- now what? $3R FT hand

Value bet. What ever amount you think you can get a call from the villain. Although, since your posting this, he most likely had the flush, I am willing to get all the chips in here, I just want some value from this hand. This is a $1.6M pot and will go a long way to winning you this tourny. You have about $1M behind, I either shove, unless we think he will folt to a push, then I throw out another $500k bet.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:49 AM

If you're value betting this river, what's your plan if he pushes? You'll be getting at least 5:1 on the call, and if you fold you'll have about 10BB and the shortest stack at the table by 400K.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Value bet. What ever amount you think you can get a call from the villain ... I am willing to get all the chips in here, I just want some value from this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-13-2006, 12:07 PM

If you're already committed to this pot, which it seems like you are, and you're going to bet, why not push? You're not going to fold to a raise, right? If he doesn't have a big flush, you make him make a decision.

The other option is to check-call. I realize this is Weak/Passive, but if you have some thought that he might have a flush, then he might bet a very small amount that you can just call.

I don't know if I like that play myself.

If I'm in this, I push and pray.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're already committed to this pot, which it seems like you are, and you're going to bet, why not push? You're not going to fold to a raise, right? If he doesn't have a big flush, you make him make a decision.

The other option is to check-call. I realize this is Weak/Passive, but if you have some thought that he might have a flush, then he might bet a very small amount that you can just call.

I don't know if I like that play myself.

If I'm in this, I push and pray.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hand is most likely best 95% of the time or more. Why would you:

1) push, if you are trying to get a fold ("make him make a decision")
2) check/call, you have the near nutz. If you go broke, because he had the flush, well congratulations to him.

You really want some kind of value from this hand. A push could easily get called by an overpair, 2 pair, top pair A kicker type hands, so there is nothing wrong with a push, just not with the intention of getting him to fold.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Semi-results

Thanks. I don't have much experience with final table play with stacks this deep. Any time a play seems clear, but I'm in unfamiliar territory, I worry that I could become complacent.

As it happens, I did bet 500K on the river, he pushed, and I called.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Semi-results

anybody else check turn?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I don't have much experience with final table play with stacks this deep. Any time a play seems clear, but I'm in unfamiliar territory, I worry that I could become complacent.

As it happens, I did bet 500K on the river, he pushed, and I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if he had a flush... you're definitely not deep enough to consider anything but how to get the most money into the pot here.

Am I really stupid for considering the c/r here?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:08 PM

C/R sucks only because he'll check behind with something like QJ/KJ and maybe even some 2 pair hands after all of Hero's betting, but he'd probably call for value with some of those. If he made the flush, I think you have to resign yourself to paying him off if he raises your bet. Still, with this board, there aren't a lot of hands he gets to the river with that didn't raise on an earlier street except for something like KcJx, QcJx, QcTx.