FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: I want to buy a suit

Here's the color I think most of us are talking about

A little darker is OK too, but not too dark
Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 AM

from askmen.com

Invest in one good, classic-cut suit and you’ll live in it for the next 10 years. Choose a black suit whose pieces can be worn as separates, and look for straight-cut pants and a sharply tailored blazer. Wear the pants with a classic white-collared shirt for a semiformal occasion and dress up scruffy jeans and a T-shirt with the blazer and some sleek black runners for a night out.

From execstyle.com
Those of us who wear suits infrequently and need an all purpose suit should consider navy, grey or black. These suits can be worn very comfortably to most life cycle events (weddings, funerals, confirmations, graduations…) as well as interviews, parties etc. The advantage of solid navy or black is that the jacket can generally be worn as a blazer with a matching pant in grey or taupe. If you have one or two suits in your wardrobe choose timeless classics that will always be fashionable and won’t be remembered as the suit you wore the last time and the time before that and...

Remember that dark suits exude power and authority that are amplified by a pin stripe. These are great suits for presentations, differentiating oneself in the boardroom and demonstrating that you are the authority and leader within the group. Next time you are at a meeting, try wearing a dark blue, black or charcoal suit with a pin stripe, place yourself prominently at the head of the table, stand with authority when you speak and monitor the attitude of your colleagues towards you.

Need a business suit that says you are one of the guys? Consider a mid grey suit as first choice followed by taupe and green shades. Beiges are great in the spring and summer months. Consider patterns with soft stripes, checks and various fabric textures. In all circumstances be sure to buy a suit that will fit into to your environment and not single you out as a tasteless dresser.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the color I think most of us are talking about

A little darker is OK too, but not too dark

[/ QUOTE ]

thats charcoal pinstriped. this is black.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thats charcoal pinstriped. this is black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for reading my edited original post. Good to know you are here to explain to me the differences in color. I had know idea what black meant until you posted that image [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 AM

Michael: Pam, would you please tell Darryl that this is not a woman’s suit.

Pam: Oh my god, that’s a woman’s suit!

Michael: There were these huge bins of clothes. And everybody was rifling through them, like crazy. And I grabbed one. And it fit. So I don’t think that this is totally just a woman’s suit. At the very least, it’s bisexual.

Kevin: Who makes it?

Michael: Um, MISSterious. And it is mysterious, because the buttons are on the wrong side. That’s the mystery.

Pam: Michael, the pants don’t have any pockets.

Michael: No, they don’t, see? Italians don’t wear pockets.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fit and proper tailoring is more important than brand. Check out any department store, it'll give you a good idea of what is out there.

[/ QUOTE ]Do I just go into a department store and buy a suit, then take it to get tailored somewhere else? there? Or do you say you want that style/color/brand then they take your sizes and make it for you there?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do either. Most dept stores will probably do an okay job, but if you have a tailor you use/trust, definitely go with them (and it may even be cheaper). Ask around, getting a recommendation is the best way to find a good tailor.

As for the other question, you'll find the size that best fits you (salesperson will help you with this) and then the tailor will make the necessary changes.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard about people buying from thailand or some other countries and getting ~$200 suits that are a fantastic deal made with italian materials, anyone with information on doing this from the states?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what you are looking for, more than $200 though

I bought a really nice custom double breasted peak lapel bron herringbone from these guys.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:55 AM

Do not buy a black suit if you're just buying one. They are for waiters & funerals and weddings, not for interviews. Charcoal pinstripe is a good start.

Spend more than $200.

See the previously linked thread.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 AM

I'm also looking to purchase a suit this weekend, so if you guys run into any good deals please let me know.

Probably going with Charcoal as well, since I already have a black suit (light pinstripes).
Old 08-31-2007, 11:58 AM

When people say charcoal, is black+charcoal pinstripe appropriate? Or is the entire color of the suit just more of a dark gray color?