Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 08:11 PM

Default Approaching Stud8 HU matches and tournaments.

I've played a few of these lately with great results, something like 10-1 ( dont ask, several sick outdraws in a row for the loss ).

I was wondering what adjustments people make for these compared to

A) cash games
B) tournament play.

My style is extremely aggressive and pretty loose, I'll raise with 249, I'll call a complete on 3rd with QT8 ( two suited ), etc, I'll raise almost any ace, I'll raise any doorcard over 8 that brings in, I do a lot of other funky stuff - I tend to rely on hand reading ability and extreme aggression in the face of players who are trying them out for a change of pace or usually play cash - they can't adjust to the HU style necessary to win imo.

I've only met one player so far I'd call respectable in terms of making hand adjustments and aggression level adjustments but his hand reading was piss poor and he didnt have a very good ability to fold even when it was clear he was screwed.

I'm primarily from a cash game background from stud8, with over 60k hands at 1/2 and 2/4 ( and a similar amount from micro limits ) although I mostly play horse and LHE these days.

I have no clue what proper tournament adjustments are for stud8 ( or stud ), some insight there would be great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-03-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Approaching Stud8 HU matches and tournaments.

I've found info on Stud8 tourneys in 2 places. First is Mcevoy & Stern's Championship Stud. Second is http://www.playwinningpoker.com/articles/03/02.html.

Basically the strategy changes late in tournaments. Early in tourneys deep stack play means low hands can be played much the same as cash games. With enough chips to make it through one or two hands, you'll want to keep the pot extremely small and fold 4th st. bricks even with powerful 2way starters, because you can burn up all your chips drawing. So high hands go up in value late in tournaments. And low hands especially non-ace, one or two gap lows lose value.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Approaching Stud8 HU matches and tournaments.

lol you'll find out in a few mins