Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Anyone ever hear anything like this going on?

I got a letter a couple of days ago from a collection agency saying that I owed a poker site $750.00 and they were trying to collect. I called them and asked them about it and they said that I deposited the money one day and then the next day went to my bank and somehow stopped the payment but the money stayed and I went on to loose it all. The lady at the agency was able to give me the last 4 digits of the card used and I have no card with those numbers.She gave me the date of the transaction which was in Nov.'06 so I've looked at all my bank and credit card accounts for that month, the month before, and the month after and there are no transactions for this on any of them.I then went on to the poker site home page to see about how to contact someone there. I sent and e-mail to their security link explaining this and I recieved a response with a phone number to call. I called and the first person I spoke to asked for a credit card number for identification. Needless to say, he didn't get a number and by the end of the conversation neither one of us were being very nice. He says that its against company policy for him to send me any copy of the transaction. I've sent a dispute to the collection agency to cover me but this is just so weird. I've never put any money in this site, I haven't had anyone calling or sending me letters asking for money before this.

What do you think? Should I call someone and report this? I'm not sure what to do next.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever hear anything like this going on?

If you don't mind saying, what site?
Some are known for being straightforward and some for being shady.

There's a lot of identity theft/credit card fraud with online transactions of any sort, but especially with gambling ones. Sounds like its the case here. Tell the collection people to [censored] off unless they have actual proof of a debt (which they don't). Dispute the hell out of anything that slips onto your credit. There's no one you can report it to, so just let the whole thing drop if it stays off your credit.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:09 PM

Absolute Poker
Old 09-26-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolute Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Why doesn't that surprise me?

If you honestly did not make this charge you need to tell them to stop calling you immediately and give them a written dispute of the debt which it seems you may have done already. You also need to, in writing and sent by certified mail tell them "Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act you have no right to put this false info on my credit reports. If you do put any false info on my credit report I will sue you". This should make them go away immediately.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:41 PM

Umm, if thats not one of your credit cards, you can't possibly owe the debt.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 PM

lol, they asked for your full CC number for ID? Are you kidding me? Wow.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 PM

All this is true guys. I've never invested a dime to this site. And its not my credt card number. No one has billed me for this money.......untill a couple of days ago. I'm not worried about the money. Its the collection issue I thinking about.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:53 PM

Is there any way to obtain the name of the card holder?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Tell the agency to go [censored] themselves and copy Absolute

Tell the collection agency to go [censored] themselves and leave you alone, (which you essentially have done.) Write them again and copy Absolute and tell them both not to contact you. Send it certified mail.

Tell Absolute that it "has submitted itself to US jurisdiction by retaining this collection agency and you plan to defend yourself as appropriate." That will get their attention.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:47 AM

If someone told me it was against their policy to send me (someone they are trying to collect from) a copy of the alleged debt or transaction/s, I would tell them it's against my personal policy to deal with assclowns.
Dispute the debt obviously and point out you have never owned that credit card.