Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: No Homosexuality in Iran

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever insight he might offer is mitigated by his authoritarianism, his out-and-out lying, and his inabiility to give a straight answer to any question asked of him. "Yes" and "no" are not in his vocabulary. His administration is cracking down on dissent, on women, and on homosexuals. When he gives yo ua whopper like there's no homosexuality in Iran, it makes his listeners think nothing he says can be believed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

I never post in politics, and I follow it casually in the news. Was very interested in his talk yesterday, so I watched live. Was impressed and intrigued by his speaking ability, his attempts to explain his positions, and his overall reasonable-sounding nature.

Then he gave that response and it made me view everything he said in an entirely different light. (A light in which maybe I should have been viewing everything in the first place, but he's an excellent speaker, so I guess he had me going...)
Old 09-25-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's really grotesque: People are denouncing Ahmadinedjad for killing gays but the same people have no problems killing the same gays with bombs.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read some threads in this forum in the last days and I was really shocked. A lot of people want a war against Iran. If this would happen, people (some of them gay) will die. This seems to be ok for them. But if Ahmadinedjad kills gays, it's a huge crime against humanity. I think this ist grotesque. Sorry for my bad English, I am from Germany.

[/ QUOTE ]

Murderers will try to kill other people. A lot of people would like the police to stop them. This is going to result in a lot of dead murderers, killed by the police. yet somehow we are ok when the police kill people, but not when the murderer kills some innocent person, when people are dying both ways. I find this grotesque and appalling..... oh wait no i don't.

And, if that was too confusing, what I'm saying is aminenidijad is killing gays because he doesn't like gays. people dying in iran would be serving a greater purpose of protecting the world, etc. motive matters.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's really grotesque: People are denouncing Ahmadinedjad for killing gays but the same people have no problems killing the same gays with bombs.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read some threads in this forum in the last days and I was really shocked. A lot of people want a war against Iran. If this would happen, people (some of them gay) will die. This seems to be ok for them. But if Ahmadinedjad kills gays, it's a huge crime against humanity. I think this ist grotesque. Sorry for my bad English, I am from Germany.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well because your from Germany i didn't want to the holocaust in my explanation but i will just cause its so easy not for any other reason. My point is there is a huge difference from killing random people than from singling out a specific group of people (ie the Jews during the Holocaust). My argument is terribly incoherent and probably should be just deleted...so just to sum this mess up...They didn't invent the word genocide for no reason. The singling out of a specific group of people is different from the accidental or intentional death of random people.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:58 PM

Peyote,

To put these replies another way. You were right the first time, your comparison of homosexual genocide and war waged between states is indeed grotesque. Thanks for dirtying our day.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously i don't agree with all of it, but certainly many americans, myself included, believe that the Bush administration (or American politicians generally over the last 60 years) is purposefully creating an environment of fear.

[/ QUOTE ]

No threat from the former Soviet Union i.e. there was nothing to be afraid of? I'll bet you weren't even 5 years old when the Soviet Union disintegrated.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
obviously i don't agree with all of it, but certainly many americans, myself included, believe that the Bush administration (or American politicians generally over the last 60 years) is purposefully creating an environment of fear.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks the "war on terror" is mostly a huge, though politically useful, distraction from issues that have an infinitely greater impact on the day to day life of the average American.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you think about our administration, you are quoting a true asshat. Half of your quote is just him trying to justify an Iranian nuke. Something that would be a lot less troubling if someone like him weren't in charge there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is an asshat, but who gives a [censored], asshats can be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

That asshat's country signed a non proliferation treaty that stated they would not produce nuclear weapons.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 PM

I would also point out that even if there were gays in Iran our bombs wouldn't harm them. Thanks to the progressive policies enacted during the Clinton administration US smart weapons no longer kill gays.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:12 PM

Good thing they didn't give him his photo op at ground zero. I read he was basically questioning the U.S. governments involvement with 9/11. One can only imagine how he would have shot his mouth off their and on the U.S. dime to boot. That would have been very painful for the families of the victems there.

Bollinger did ok I thought when it was all said and done. I was taking a wait and see attitude about his visit to Columbia but now I'm glad they let him come there.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know I'm not the only one who thinks the "war on terror" is mostly a huge, though politically useful, distraction from issues that have an infinitely greater impact on the day to day life of the average American.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you think about our administration, you are quoting a true asshat. Half of your quote is just him trying to justify an Iranian nuke. Something that would be a lot less troubling if someone like him weren't in charge there.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That asshat's country signed a non proliferation treaty that stated they would not produce nuclear weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

and we signed the Geneva conventions. Andyfox (who rules) mentions that he would never say yes or no. Neither would any US politician (especially bush) to a question with similar intent. I think the guy is pretty pathological and evil, but a ton of the things we criticize in him (and Iran) are beyond hypocritical.

this is neither a defense of MA or an attack on the US just an observation of bias.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and we signed the Geneva conventions. Andyfox (who rules) mentions that he would never say yes or no. Neither would any US politician (especially bush) to a question with similar intent. I think the guy is pretty pathological and evil, but a ton of the things we criticize in him (and Iran) are beyond hypocritical.

this is neither a defense of MA or an attack on the US just an observation of bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the U.S. has abided by the Geneva convention. So anyone can break any treaty anytime they feel like it in your mind.