Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Best rakeback site? What poker site as well?

The plan is to play a lot. I am going to start off small to get my feet wet with online play. I mean I have played online...but I would do well on $20 HU SNG's (won 14 in a row one night) then just dump it in a bad beat in a cash game where I am playing above my bankroll where a single bad beat could literally wipe me out. Frequently I would buy in for $100, build it to $300 or $400 usually same day playing $20 HU SNG's, then go to a ring NL game and dump it all back on a hand where I flop the nut straight to get sucked out on by trips turning into a boat or TP turning into the nut flush or something. (probably should have just stuck with $20 SNG's...lol)

So, I decided to get serious about online and focus on long term play rather than playing when I just didnt feel like fighting traffic to get to Commerce or Hustler here in LA. So, I am going to start off at really low stakes NL ring games and mix in some SNG's so I can manage the variance while getting used to the software like PT and such as well as gaining as much experience I can. Once I can beat them consistently then I'll move up and so on.

I am sure the FPP probably inst that great for small stakes, but then again, I cant imagine you make much in rake back on small stakes either. So, I will set an account up and see how it goes.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:32 AM

My personal opinion is that rakeback is pretty important for a beginning online player in that it allows you to play for 3-weeks, busto your account, and get a fresh influx of cash the next month. Even if you slowly bleed, rather than busto, it is still very useful. For a 100NL player with 30k hands per month a dealt rakeback deal is probably worth $1k per month (0.5 of a 20BI bankroll).

The other thing I will tell you - If you ever want RB on FTP (which you probably will at some point) you need to make absolutely sure that you follow the instructions of your rakeback affiliate very closely. If you setup or fund your an FTP account that was not set up through an affiliate you may never be able to get rakeback on FTP. With the other sites you have a little forgiveness, but you should still be very careful about creating accounts (do it though an affiliate).

Lucky
Old 10-16-2007, 11:36 AM

Yeah, when I set up Full Tilt it was a long time ago before I had ever heard of RB. So FTP is out...I am trying to close my account, but they are trying to keep from doing so. So, they are probably a site I will no longer play on.

What other site do you recommend for RB?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, when I set up Full Tilt it was a long time ago before I had ever heard of RB. So FTP is out...I am trying to close my account, but they are trying to keep from doing so. So, they are probably a site I will no longer play on.

What other site do you recommend for RB?

[/ QUOTE ]

My rakeback at FTP got messed up because my account was erroneously never linked to my affiliate. I played a lot thinking that it was and when I discovered that it wasn't I moved all my play to another site. This was sometime last fall. I asked them to close my account in September and they did. A few weeks later they sent me an email saying they would link my account to an affiliate (rakebackpros). I read in another thread that they are looking at ways to get rakeback deals for players who would were not playing at FTP for lack of rakeback. I would send FTP Dough a PM indicating that you would play at FTP with rakeback.

As fare as other sites go I would recommend AP. I know it has received a lot of bad press on these forums lately, but it is a decent site. The player pool is large (for NL at least) and it has good promotions and many reputable rakeback affiliates (the standard deal is 30% contributed). UB at 30% contributed is also an option for Americans, but I don't like the site as much because of the software (difficult to import hands to PT), no resizable tables, ect) and the the fact that the games seem tougher.

Still I think the best deal currently is FTP at 27% dealt.

The one advantage of Stars is that it has super micro limit games. On AP and FTP the lowest NL games have 0.05/0.10 blinds.

Lucky
Old 10-16-2007, 11:52 AM

.05/.10 is about the lowest i want to play...anything lower than that is hard for me to get up for and stay focused. It is going to take some discipline for me, but I think I will be ok at .05/.10 until I am ready to jump back up to .50/1 or 1/2 once I have the playing time in online and have properly bankrolled my account for those limits.

Thanks for the info on FTP, I will am going to PM him now and see what happens. I like FTP but unless they do the RB I would be a fool to keep playing there.