Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 08:01 PM

Default * * New Theory of Poker Study Group Session 2 * *

Fresh off a 5 reply first session, 3 of which were mine, (nice job Bobo Fett), here comes session 2

ODDS PAGES 35-60

Read for a week then discuss for a week.

I hope we get more questions comments.....ect.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: * * New Theory of Poker Study Group Session 2 * *

Sorry I was late in my comments/replies to "Session 1". I added them anyway and will make an effort to make timely comments this time.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:28 PM

The dates and pages to read aren't written in stone, we can spend as much time on any topic as people want or need.
Thank you for your questions, started some good discusions, i was starting to get discuraged, now we have 9 replys, good job guys.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 PM

I just joined this forum today...I am going to try and get this reading in to be caught up by Session 3. I read this book a long time ago and a re read will be good for me. Although I have 6 new poker books arriving tomorrow and the temptation to read them will be high...lol...but I hope to be caught up on this one to participate fully in future discussions. What a great idea this was to create this study group.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 PM

lol @ me... I saw the thread and thought someone had a new theory of poker
Old 10-11-2007, 07:01 PM

Ok, scratch my joining this session as I posted yesterday...unfortunately I forgot I loaned the book out, so I will have to catch the next study group. I just received 6 new books yesterday (well 5 actually since one was a gift for someone), so I have plenty of reading I can work on now anyway. Hope to catch you guys on the next one, whatever book that may be.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 PM

You may wish to add these threads to your favorites and save them until you get the book back. One of the many benefits to conducting these study groups on the forums is that the information is here and available to all for a long time.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:51 PM

Ok, I don't have the book in front of me, but in the pot odds section there is a hand. Hero has AcTc. It looks like the game is limit hold'em and the hero is in BB. It also looks like there are 4-5 people in the pot.

Board is AQ9 (2 spades)

Small blind bets, hero folds?

Sklansky's explanation is that we still have opponents to act behind us that might raise and re-raise and our odds are not good, because our kicker is bad.

Isn't this advice a bit weak?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I don't have the book in front of me, but in the pot odds section there is a hand. Hero has AcTc. It looks like the game is limit hold'em and the hero is in BB. It also looks like there are 4-5 people in the pot.

Board is AQ9 (2 spades)

Sklansky's explanation is that we still have opponents to act behind us that might raise and re-raise and our odds are not good, because our kicker is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember believing that it is spot on, but the situation comes up rarely. I will look back and see if my memory is holding up.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Board is AQ9 (2 spades)

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends...but in a typical ring game this is a perfect example of reversed implied odds. Even if you currently have the best hand you will rarely end up with the best hand. If we start to list out possible hands your opponents may have (AK-AJ, KQ, KJ, any 2 spades, etc) we start to see even if we are currently ahead we could lose if any spade/face card comes on the turn. In addition, we are out of position and could already be behind. For these reasons I think folding is the best line here.