Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Pot Odds vs Implied Odds

Confused on how to use odds. Let's say I flopped the nut flush draw, giving me 9 outs and 4:1 odds against. My opponent has $12 stack and I have him covered. He bets $2 into a $2 pot. Do I use the pot odds $4 pot, $2 to call, 2:1 or do I use $4 pot plus $10 stack behind, 7:1 to make my decision? Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Pot Odds vs Implied Odds

depends if you really think he will put in that $10 behind.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 PM

As Ryver said, you have to assess how much you think villain will put in the pot on future streets, and compare that amount to the odds you get ATM to play and make your hand.

Just adding his stack size to the equation isn't correct, and could get you into a lot of trouble.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:50 AM

From what I'm learning about this is that if your odds to make your hand are 4:1 at the moment and your getting for example 3.5:1 or somewhere in that range you can call the bet without sufficient odds (4:1 to make it a +EV call). This is based on folding the next street if you miss your draw and means you don't put anymore money in the pot. I'm sure this is not exactly right and someone else can explain it in better terms.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:41 AM

What I have been doing is looking at how much my opponent has already committed to the pot. If he has committed less than 1/3 third of his stack, I'll look at the present pot odds. If he has already committed more than 1/3 of his stack, I'll look at his stack size, figuring he is likely to play for the entire stack. Does this logic make sense?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:59 AM

The thing about implied odds is how hidden your hand is. A flush is probably the most unhidden hand there is, so even if you hit on the turn, you are not likely to get their stack, and a call from you hints you are on a draw. This gives opponent reasons to fold. If you miss on the turn, there is a good chance he will fire another bet of $3 or $4, now what do you do.
Why not min raise his flop bet.(providing you are last to act) You may win the pot there and then. If he calls, there is a good chance he will check the turn. If your flush doesnt hit, you can check behind him. This gives you a river card for less of a price than if you just called his flop bet.
If your flush came on the turn, you would be more likely to take his stack as your play has been deceptive and he would find it difficult to put you on your holding. Especially if you came out betting.