Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Sort of poll - when to limp-call your PPs?

This post was inspired by the 77 hand I posted yesterday. I am curious what your ranges are for weak PPs and how you vary them in different situations.

For the purposes of LHE, I consider weak PPs to be 22-88. 99-TT are marginal PPs and JJ-AA are big PPs.

I often got chastised by 2p2ers for open limipng weak PPs, a practice I have given up since beginning to post here. In general I consider it ok to open-raise with marginal PPs from MP on back. If checked around to me in LP, I will expand this to open raise with all PPs if I think I can steal the blinds / flop fold some weak willed villain who wants to defend against me but has no heart.

Vs a raise I will call 1 with any PP from the BB. I will usually 3-bet an obvious blind steal from the BB as well. In the SB I will usually call 1 with a PP, but my 3bet "blind defense" range is much tighter, usually 99-up. I defend my blinds as a matter of principle, even if it is mathematically unsound.

What do you do when there are raises on the board? How often do you limp your PPs? Is there an equity equation to determine the correct time to call with them?

In general I will cold-call a 2bet with my PPs if there are 2 or more in the pot already. I will also call a 3-bet if I the table has gone nuts (5+callers) and I have position to prevent a cap (eg the BB or I think I the guys behind me will fold). I usually don't call a cap with weak PPs regardless of position.

Does anyone ever open-limp? Open-limping seems to make Babar angry. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Sort of poll - when to limp-call your PPs?

With PPs I will try and only open-raise with them - which limits me to TT+ unless I am in LP with 99/88.

I will limp for one bet with marginal PP 66-99 if it looks like being a multiway pot and call one back if it is raised behind me, but I try not to cold call with any pocket pairs.

Ill either raise or fold them.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:46 AM

On most tables I open limp 88, 77, and sometimes 66 from EP. To limp with lower pairs in EP the table needs to be really passive.

I once played on a very tight FR table where I raised 55 from UTG to steal the blinds. It worked.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vs a raise I will call 1 with any PP from the BB. I will usually 3-bet an obvious blind steal from the BB as well. In the SB I will usually call 1 with a PP, but my 3bet "blind defense" range is much tighter, usually 99-up. I defend my blinds as a matter of principle, even if it is mathematically unsound.

[/ QUOTE ]

What principle is this? The principle of losing money?

Edit: I want to nominate "I defend my blinds as a matter of principle" as the next NC thread title.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do when there are raises on the board? How often do you limp your PPs? Is there an equity equation to determine the correct time to call with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll limp any PP from EP if it's a game where I expect to see 5+ to the flop. In tighter games, I can limp/raise/fold a hand like 77-88 in EP depending on how tight villains are and how they play. 99+ gets raised from any position.

[ QUOTE ]
In general I will cold-call a 2bet with my PPs if there are 2 or more in the pot already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to see three people in the pot voluntarily before I coldcall a pocket pair.

[ QUOTE ]
I will also call a 3-bet if I the table has gone nuts (5+callers) and I have position to prevent a cap (eg the BB or I think I the guys behind me will fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what you mean by "prevent a cap" and your examples are unenlightening.

[ QUOTE ]
I usually don't call a cap with weak PPs regardless of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've already called for two bets, folding to a cap is stupid.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What principle is this? The principle of losing money?

Edit: I want to nominate "I defend my blinds as a matter of principle" as the next NC thread title.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing about blind defense is that if you defend your blinds once or twice early in a session, people stop stealing. If you consistently lay down they will do it every single hand.

I think building a good table image is important.

[ QUOTE ]

I like to see three people in the pot voluntarily before I coldcall a pocket pair.

[ QUOTE ]
I will also call a 3-bet if I the table has gone nuts (5+callers) and I have position to prevent a cap (eg the BB or I think I the guys behind me will fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what you mean by "prevent a cap" and your examples are unenlightening.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm in the BB, someone has 3 bet, there's only one player behind me to also call, and based on my observation I think that first raiser will call instead of capping, then I will come along.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I usually don't call a cap with weak PPs regardless of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've already called for two bets, folding to a cap is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here I'm talking about coming from 3 bets down.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing about blind defense is that if you defend your blinds once or twice early in a session, people stop stealing. If you consistently lay down they will do it every single hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
And if you fail horribly defending your blinds early in the session, how will this effect your future blind play?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I second.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And if you fail horribly defending your blinds early in the session, how will this effect your future blind play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually once or twice is enough to make someone think twice about stealing from you with nothing.

If he raises and has a hand so be it. The idea is to make the opponent think "I better not raise my T4o here, even though its been folded to me cause that guy might force me to the flop".

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I second.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of you can kiss my entire *** [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2007, 05:55 PM

In my typical B&M 3/6 and 4/8 games if we've been getting 5-8 people to the flop, I'll limp or open-limp with any pocket pair up front.

If it's folded to me in MP2, MP3 or later, I'll just dump small pockets (66 or lower). Most of the time there's a defender-donk or two behind me making blind steals impossible.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I once played on a very tight FR table where I raised 55 from UTG to steal the blinds. It worked.

[/ QUOTE ]

You tried to steal the blinds from UTG?! I don't know how sane that is, but I'm glad it worked out for you, lolz. That's sick bro!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think building a good table image is important

[/ QUOTE ]

Important enough to lose money over? I did't think there were any (set) principles in poker. I think the principle you're speaking of is your own personal principle and probably doesn't have much to do with playing poker....