Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Help design \"BikeTown\"!

I have this idea that I've had fun discussing with friends. I think OOT can do even better. The basic premise is to build a city/development from scratch and replace all roads and parking lots with bike trails and bike racks. With a few exceptions, only non-fuel-burning vehicles are allowed inside the city. The effect would be to shrink the city. How much smaller would your city be if you sucked away all roads and parking lots and pushed everything together to fill that space? Almost everything would be within biking/walking distance. Beyond the city limits will be several city parking lots where people can leave cars for out-of-town trips, etc.

What have I forgotten? Why will/won't this work? How can it be made better? Run with it, OOT.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Help design \"BikeTown\"!

You'd need alot of good weather.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd need alot of dirty hippies.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2006, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd need alot of good weather.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can build near San Diego or some other relatively flat place with a pleasant climate year-round.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You'd need alot of dirty hippies.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

count me in!
Old 06-28-2006, 06:48 PM

Agreed. This place will mainly attract hippies. The smell of smog will be replaced (or overwhelmed) by body odor. Poor bathing habits combined with always biking everywhere will be a major issue.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:01 PM

Not to mention the smug. It will quickly become one of the biggest producers of smug in the nation. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Shauna
Old 06-28-2006, 08:19 PM

Impossible to build any worthwhile city without some form of public transportation. Throw in a subway and it could be as big as needed.

The only problem is it would be an unimportant city since no big business/important events would ever happen.

edit

however every person there will think they are the most important because only big ego hippies and yuppies would move there. It will be the highest percentage of middle management workers:general public ever trapped in a city limit
Old 06-28-2006, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only problem is it would be an unimportant city since no big business/important events would ever happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

the ultimate frisbee championships?

i guess i'm surprised at all the contempt for the seemingly harmless hippie community. are veggie burritos really that terrible?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The lack of motorized transportation itself makes the city a destination for sightseers, etc. Additionally, the place would be so quiet that golf courses and getaway type places would spring up all over.

Public transportation can be built in, although it won't be as necessary as in other cities because the city will be very compact thanks to the elimination of parking lots, etc. What type of public transportation will fit best in this city? Electric train? Can we build moving sidewalks all over? Of course there will be rickshaws available everywhere.

Also, conventions, etc may come to bike town. There can be an airport outside the city limits. Because the city is compact, there is no need to travelers to rent cars anyway because everything is within walking distance of their convention center.