Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: the family dog got put down today.

I was talking to my friend Greg on Monday night. Greg is the biggest dog geek I know. The whole dog show scene and stuff.

He said it would be a good idea to get a new dog to keep Remmy (the other weim who is still alive) company, that he'll miss his friend.

My dad said he doesn't want to get one. He's 51 and wants to retire out of state within ten years and doesn't want to have to move a dog with him.

One thing I thought of is that I could buy a dog, to keep at my parents' house right now, until Remmy dies, and then move the new dog into my place. And then I'd need another dog to keep that one company, ad infinitum.

It would be an awfully big commitment. But the whole reason they got Elfi in the first place is that Remmy is so high-strung and full of energy that it'd be impossible to give him enough attention.

I let him out of his kennel earlier, and he went sniffing around the yard when he knew exactly where his toys were. I think he was looking for Elfi [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, sorry for your loss obv. How are your cats doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The three cats my dad and I got for the office are doing great. I don't know if they're catching any mice, but they are cool pets. They're about eight months old now, and really starting to develop distinct personalities. One of them tries to climb up my legs even when I'm standing up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good stuff to know. My two have definitely developed their own unique personality in the way of sounds, where they prefer to rest, how much they're willing to explore, and ways they're affectionate.

But - the office? I forgot about that part. How do they do when no one's around, which I would guess is significant down time? I'm not concerned for their well-being, mine are currently being left alone for 6 1/2 days, more just curious about how they function in an office environment...
Old 07-13-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, sorry for your loss obv. How are your cats doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The three cats my dad and I got for the office are doing great. I don't know if they're catching any mice, but they are cool pets. They're about eight months old now, and really starting to develop distinct personalities. One of them tries to climb up my legs even when I'm standing up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good stuff to know. My two have definitely developed their own unique personality in the way of sounds, where they prefer to rest, how much they're willing to explore, and ways they're affectionate.

But - the office? I forgot about that part. How do they do when no one's around, which I would guess is significant down time? I'm not concerned for their well-being, mine are currently being left alone for 6 1/2 days, more just curious about how they function in an office environment...

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, haven't been on in a couple days.

Well, the office itself is pretty small. A front lobby, a employee room with two small bathrooms, and an office. But that opens up to a fairly large warehouse, where we park four work trucks and a boat, with a loft upstairs.

The cats' food and water is set up in the employee room, and the women's bathroom has the litter box. Seems like they do fine left alone. Can't tell if they've caught any mice yet, but they seem happy and healthy.

The only part that's kind of tough is someone having to go by on Saturdays and Sundays to make sure there's enough food and water, and that the box is reasonably clean.

Yours are left alone for almost a week? Is there some sort of food dispenser?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:55 PM

Sorry stranger it’s always upsetting when you have to put a pet down.
Any way did you go into work the next day, the mods round here are very much against people grieving over pets and taking time off. I went in the day after the family dog way put down but spent much of the day sniveling and hiding from colleagues.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry stranger it’s always upsetting when you have to put a pet down.
Any way did you go into work the next day, the mods round here are very much against people grieving over pets and taking time off. I went in the day after the family dog way put down but spent much of the day sniveling and hiding from colleagues.

[/ QUOTE ]

This didn't alter my routine one bit. I was sad and all, but it would be insane to throw a funeral for a dog, and no funeral = no time off for me. I was sad, posted about it here, and talked to a few friends who are also dog lovers.

I do recall the thread you're referring to.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yours are left alone for almost a week? Is there some sort of food dispenser?

[/ QUOTE ]
I left them a shitton of food and water. At least six days' worth but almost certainly more. The biggest concern is that the litterbox, which I clean daily, is gonna be pretty rank when I get back.

This is a great example of one of the advantages of having a cat over a dog. No way I could get away with leaving two dogs alone for a week, and while it's not recommended either, I'm sure they'll be fine and then I have very little in the way of trips planned for the rest of the year...

Anyway, having three at your office is key. They'll keep each other company when nobody is around.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
She was nearly eight years old. I remember going with my dad to the airport to pick her up on Thanksgiving weekend when I was home from college. I'm at my parents' place a lot, so me and this dog were pretty close.

She has been having pretty bad seizures for about the last five years. She's been on a lot of heavy medication to try to help control the seizures, but for the past two weeks or so she's just been wandering around the yard disoriented, bumping into things and stepping in her water dish.

My dad took her to the vet last week to have some tests done. Meanwhile, this morning, she couldn't keep her balance well enough to walk, was trying to crawl around on her belly pushing with her hind legs, and wore her toenails down to the bone, streaking blood all over the patio. My dad took her back to the vet, and got the results of the tests from last week--most likely a large brain tumor. That spelled the end for her.

Its sad to have her gone, but she hadn't been well for a long time. Still affectionate to the end. I post this tonight in tribute. I know she wasn't a family member like a person is, but as any pet-lovers out there know, people can form quite a bond with their pets. And I'm sad.

Elfi
9/30/99 - 7/9/07

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel ya man i had to put my 13 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel to sleep on tuesday July 3rd. What a crappy day that was. She was deaf for about 4 yrs and i actually was taught a little dog sign language to work with her. She also had 2 seizures about 2 yrs ago but the medicine the vet gave me to give to her worked and she never had any sense. On the day i had her put down she wasnt doing good the few days before but that morning she was ok but i took her to the vet appnt anyway for her scheduled blood work and other tests. She seemed ok at the vet and so i left. On the way home shes sitting in the car out of it and her head is just flopping everywhere. I pull in my driveway and lift her out and she didnt want to move. I carry her in and within minutes she just started crying like crazy and not moving. I called the vet back and she told me tests revealed a tumor or tumors on both her liver and kidney and thats why shes been in and out for a while. Well she said i could do surgery but i was against it and drove back and had her put down. to the vets credit they gave me money back for tests and didnt charge me for putting her down. Actually they sent me a card and a little clay ornament with her paw print and her name on it a few days later.
I remember when i got her. I had a change collection saved and went in to a pet store with $$ from the change i cashed in and bought her as a puppy. That was when i was 19 and im 32 now. I miss her alot and im very sorry for your loss as well. I went through alot of women and the dog was actually the most loyal. Mans best friend is right!
Old 07-14-2007, 01:38 AM

Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 AM

Stranger, I'm not a huge fan of your dog's particular breed, but she was beautiful. I love that pictuer of her going down the slide. I'm sorry for your loss.

Albert, that was ultra-depressing. I hope you are doing ok, as well.

GottiHotti, there are tons of threads on this site where tasteless jokes are appropriate. This is not one of them.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:59 AM

WTF is that?!?!