Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 AM

Default KTs Versus an Early Limp-Raiser

5-10 live, 9 handed.

I hold K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. A player from early position limps and everyone folds to me. I raise, the small blind calls, the big blind folds, but the limper reraises. I call as does the small blind.

The flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The limper bets, I raise, and the small blind folds. The limper then reraises and I call.

The Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The limper checks and I check behind.

The River comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The limper checks, I bet, and he raises.

Comments on this hand?
Old 11-07-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Re: KTs Versus an Early Limp-Raiser

I would have folded after the limpers flop bet. I just don't see your hand going anywhere against hands he could have limp-raised the flop with.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have folded after the limpers flop bet. I just don't see your hand going anywhere against hands he could have limp-raised the flop with.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is 11-1 after the limper leads the flop. Assume he typically limp-reraises with pocket aces and pocket kings. Versus aces we have 5 outs and versus kings we have 2.

Since we win half the time he has aces but lose the other half to kings, we assign our K outs as partial (0.5). Thus, our total outs are (0.5x3)+(1x2)= 3.5.

The threshold for a 3.5 out draw is 45/3.5= ~13-1. I think we can continue here on the flop.

Btw, if it helps, assume the early position player is a tricky thinking opponent. It is essentially the impression I had on him having played with him a few times.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:12 AM

Fairly large assmption that he is a tricky thinking opponent and then putting him on AA or KK. a preflop LRR is either said AA or KK or something stupid like jTo or q9s. And usually, I find, it's the latter, played by a donk.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fairly large assmption that he is a tricky thinking opponent and then putting him on AA or KK. a preflop LRR is either said AA or KK or something stupid like jTo or q9s. And usually, I find, it's the latter, played by a donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally did not put him on AA or KK. I was addressing the first reply to my handpost that we can continue even if he does. My comment that he was tricky was to point out that the villian in this example is capable of making aggressive plays like this without necessarily holding a strong hand.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:29 AM

Okay, with that I would call the flop bet and fold the turn to a bet unimproved. I just don't see the need for the flop raise.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:16 AM

I like the flop raise. AK is well within the villians range and if the raise also gets sb to fold any hand containing an A or a J or a low pocket that could spike a set later then it is a good thing. The reraise indicates he probably has you beat. The river check is weird so I would probably have also bet. But what is he calling with here that we beat?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:40 AM

Did you have any reads on the villain?

I like the preflop raise isolation play on the EP limper. When he reraises, I think his most likely holding is AA. He can also have KK, QQ or some random crud. Reads on the opponent would be very helpful here.

I would call the flop instead of raising.

As played I would check the river through. At this stage, I don't think you will get a better hand to fold nor worse hand to call. Since you bet and got raised, I would actually make a crying call. You appear to have the worst hand. However, the villain's play throughout the hand has been unusual enough for me to think a call would be profitable.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:33 AM

I wouldn't mind just calling down from the flop. I don't like the idea of folding anywhere and I don't like to call down a flop 3-bet. In position I think calling down is fine.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't mind just calling down from the flop. I don't like the idea of folding anywhere and I don't like to call down a flop 3-bet. In position I think calling down is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]