Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Help design \"BikeTown\"!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
okay - emergency vehicles will be the only allowable method of motorized transport. happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm happy if the pizza guy gets a car. I think I might get the munchies in Bike Town.

[/ QUOTE ]

you will live close enough that your pizza will arrive by bicycle within a reasonable amount of time. keep in mind the "shrinking effect" of Biketown as stated in the OP. i envision most, if not all, of Biketown's residents will live in apartments or condos to maximize space.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okay - emergency vehicles will be the only allowable method of motorized transport. happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Due to the constraining width of the bike paths, the emergency vehicles will have to be some sort of souped-up golf car or ATV or something. With all the candles and incense being lit, we'll certainly need BTFD to be efficient.

Also, since we're marketing to hippies, let's address electricity generation. Can we have a city mandate that every roof will be covered with solar cells? Is there a way to generate electricity from compost?

More ideas:

CRV=$1.00/ea. for cans and bottles. To further encourage recycling, the city will pick up recycling for free, but charge per bag of trash.

Naturally, a city ordinance will ban both paper and plastic grocery sacks. Every citizen will be expected to have their own reusable canvas sacks or rent/buy some from the grocer.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:07 PM

as much as I love biking, half the fun is riding in real traffic and tearing ass. And the constant blaring of phish and bob marley would just drive me absoluely nuts.

You also might get some civil war thing going between hippies and anarcho punx.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Due to the constraining width of the bike paths, the emergency vehicles will have to be some sort of souped-up golf car or ATV or something. With all the candles and incense being lit, we'll certainly need BTFD to be efficient.

Also, since we're marketing to hippies, let's address electricity generation. Can we have a city mandate that every roof will be covered with solar cells? Is there a way to generate electricity from compost?

More ideas:

CRV=$1.00/ea. for cans and bottles. To further encourage recycling, the city will pick up recycling for free, but charge per bag of trash.

Naturally, a city ordinance will ban both paper and plastic grocery sacks. Every citizen will be expected to have their own reusable canvas sacks or rent/buy some from the grocer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Biketown is, for all intents and purposes, becoming Hippietown - which is fine with me - but might disuade some from getting involved. either way, i like the suggestions.

the emergency vehicles must be narrow enough to fit on bike paths but large enough to accomidate equipment and such. perhaps a narrow double-decker bus looking kind of thing? center of gravity could be an issue with that design though. this could be a tough one.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:19 PM

Try building a building when the access roads are all just bike paths. Or when the incense and patchouli store needs to restock, it'll have to be done one small box at a time.

Plus biking everywhere won't seem as fun any more when all the bikes paths are really crowded and you are all forced to go as slow as the most out-of-shape rider.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:34 PM

one small box my ass

Old 06-28-2006, 09:39 PM

I'm sure the Chinese will trade you their bicycles for your cars. Or you could just move over there instead of building "BikeTown" here...
Old 06-28-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Plus biking everywhere won't seem as fun any more when all the bikes paths are really crowded and you are all forced to go as slow as the most out-of-shape rider.

[/ QUOTE ]

our busier "highway-like" paths will have multiple lanes just like regular roads.

keep trying to shoot us down, Killjoys!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:34 PM

My family vacations in Seaside, Florida which is somewhat like this. There is a main street on the beach through town, and everyone drives their cars to their homes, but no one uses cars unless absolutely necessary. I think this type of community would only work for vacation homes.