Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 02:10 PM

Default backgammon--question about references and theory

so recently I've developed an interest in backgammon as another way to gamble on a skill-based game. one of the first books I bought to read on the subject was paul magriel's tome 'backgammon.' since my first reading and reading other sources on backgammon theory, it came to my attention that some of the points made in the book were outdated compared to the theory present today (such as magriel's suggestion to play and opening 53 bringing two checkers down from the midpoint rather than securing the 3 point).

my two questions:

1) can anyone point out other outdated theories in the book (if it matters, my copy is the third edition from 1978)

2) what more recent books have been written which would be helpful in learning how to play backgammon better (or alternately, are there any really good forums online for backgammon, the few I have found didn't seem to have all that much traffic).

thanks in advance

e_bloc
Old 06-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: backgammon--question about references and theory

[ QUOTE ]

1) can anyone point out other outdated theories in the book (if it matters, my copy is the third edition from 1978)

[/ QUOTE ]
Most of what Magriel said is both valid and worth reading repeatedly.

Another category of errors which comes to mind is the action play section. If I recall correctly, most of the examples were wrong. The action play idea is ok at times, but it is sensitive to the tactical situation. Magriel applied it too much.

You can find discussions of particular positions in Bagai's book Classics Revisited.

[ QUOTE ]

2) what more recent books have been written which would be helpful in learning how to play backgammon better (or alternately, are there any really good forums online for backgammon, the few I have found didn't seem to have all that much traffic).

[/ QUOTE ]
The best online forum I know of is www.gammonline.com .

There is a lof of good material in the rec.games.backgammon archive. That has many discussions of books on backgammon that have been out for a few years. Note that Bill Robertie's books are good, and he is also a 2+2 author, and occasionally posts in this forum.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:20 PM

thanks a bunch for the response, it's much appreciated.

I was looking at robertie's books on amazon (advanced backgammon vols 1/2 in particular) but it seemed like it was rather unavailable. . . it looks like the cheapest I could find was 70$ for the two volumes--is this standard?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was looking at robertie's books on amazon (advanced backgammon vols 1/2 in particular) but it seemed like it was rather unavailable. . . it looks like the cheapest I could find was 70$ for the two volumes--is this standard?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the cover price is $40 per volume. They are each substantial books, and I highly recommend them. Some people say most of the material was covered again in 501 Essential Backgammon Problems, though.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:34 AM

In relation to your second question I would recommend Walter Trice's Backgammon Boot Camp. I'm about halfway through so far and it is very good. It is also strong where Magriels Backgammon is weak, notably in its coverage of the doubling cube. It is a harder book to read for someone relatively new to the game but it is well worth it.

I also recommend www.gammonlife.com as a good place to visit. It has some very good articles and tips by a collection of people.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This used to be true. Now this forum is "dead" since Gammonempire bougth it from Kit Woolsey. Now most of the former users of gammonline.com have moved to
gammonu

Also you want to download GNU and practice against it. Very good training against a very tough opponent.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This used to be true. Now this forum is "dead" since Gammonempire bougth it from Kit Woolsey. Now most of the former users of gammonline.com have moved to
gammonu

Also you want to download GNU and practice against it. Very good training against a very tough opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually playing against gnu for a while (it would regularly destroy me, but it was interesting seeing how it played), and now i own a copy of snowie 4.x that I've been playing against lately. it's pretty humbling because I thought I was playing pretty well, and having it dissect my moves and tell me I make a blunder every 9 moves is more than I expected.