Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: 800k stuck in neteller, will legal representation help me?

[ QUOTE ]
I just called Neteller and was told the funds are seized and the representative then referred me to the update website.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:28 PM

People from the U.S. recently won a U.K. court judgment against BetOnSports. The shell game nature of the company and running out the delisting clock remind me of Neteller. LINK
Old 03-02-2007, 11:17 PM

It's pointless to hire a lawyer in the US. A lawsuit needs to be filed in the jurisdiction where Neteller's assets are located.

Put it this way: if the US Govt can't get its hands on Neteller's bank accounts, how is a private lawyer going to do it?

A demand letter is equally pointless; it's an empty threat.

If you're set on hiring a lawyer, at least make sure it's on a contingency fee basis, and make sure the contingency only kicks in if the lawyer gets your money (not just because everybody got their money.)
Old 03-02-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just called Neteller and was told the funds are seized and the representative then referred me to the update website. The update website was very vague as to why funds are not returned to U.S. customers. I have over 13k in Neteller. What are my options now? Why isn't there a class action lawsuit? We have a legitimate wrong being done here, why is there no suit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't a class action lawsuit just [censored] us all in the ass and result in everyone getting pennies on the dollar if it succeeds?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:35 AM

Try cursing out a service representive on the phone and demand that they pay you back your money.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 AM

Ike,

I would personally talk to PokerStars, preferrabley someone high up (Lee Jones) as they are still doing huge business with Neteller. It doesn't look good on them if their second place winner didn't get paid. Also if they can't help, I'm sure they know more about whats going on and your best course of action.

Best of Luck.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:12 AM

ike,

Flying out to Neteller headquarters and speaking to someone in person, might be a good idea, if you can spare the time.

Congrats on the win, btw.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:39 PM

I would try to talk to higher ups at both Poker Stars and Neteller and explain the situation that the 800K was not even from online play. If it is not too expensive, it might be worthwhile to be accompanied by a lawyer or have your lawyer on the conference call.

I wouldn't sue yet, but at some point you should be able to litigate this in UK courts if all else fails.

I am not a lawyer.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just "move to Canada" and get your 800k back. Cheaper, easier and faster than a lawsuit. By far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this alot harder than you make it sound?

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is having problems getting his money (he quotes the amount as a few hundred) from neteller and he is a legitimate overseas resident.

www.billrini.com/2007/02/04/neteller-starting-to-piss-me-off/

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy seems like a whiny bitch. a few hundred dollars? suck it up, its not like you need the money.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a lawyer...not much sense in litigation right now...in fact in what venue is such a lawsuit brought...certainly not in the United States since Neteller is a foreign entity that claims to have no ties to US jurisdiction...indeed all the supposed good arguments that Neteller and others can escape US criminal prosecution since it does not "do business here" works to the disadvantage of all its US customers since they cannot also be sued in a civil matter here in the US...good luck fighting that battle!

Anyway, if retaining an attorney still interests you here is what I suggest...with all the talk of funds confiscation by the DOJ it would benefit you most by ascertaining whether or not this is true. ALL court files of this matter are a matter of PUBLIC RECORD. In fact, any attorney who practices in federal court has a paid online access to the Court's files through a system known as PACER. If you want to spend money on a lawyer, hire one in the jurisdiction in which the criminal charges are pending. He/she will be able to tell you after reviewing the Court files whether the US government has seized any monies. Such information would be in the court file. Thereafter, they would be in the best position to advise on the potential outcome of such actions including what you may be able to do about this. THIS SHOULD NOT COST YOU ANY SIGNFICIANT AMOUNT OF MONEY EITHER...maybe, maybe a couple of thousand dollars AT THE MOST...

if you decide to take further action they should also be able to give you a good faith estimate at what you are looking at. ALSO keep in mind that we are dealing in the crininal law arena...most GOOD criminal attorneys, although expensive...DO NOT PRACTICE in mega large lawfirms but usually solo or small boutique firms, so for good value, in this matter, I would stay away from a high priced mega law firm. GOOD LUCK!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you decide to hire a lawyer, be sure to find one who can write well.