Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 05:25 AM

Default 800k stuck in neteller, will legal representation help me?

The title pretty much says it. I have 800k stuck in neteller. I've talked to some lawyers and they were laying the pressure on thick to get me to retain them but couldn't really tell me what they'd be able to do for me. Basically, as I understand it, the point of retaining a lawyer(s) would be to determine who, if anyone, I could sue to try to get my money back. Is this about right? Does anyone, preferably someone with some legal experience, actual lawyers would be ideal, have any good advice about what sort of firm/lawyer I want to hire and what they could do for me? Do you think having legal representation ups my chance of getting my money back enough to be worth the steep price?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:34 AM

Default Re: 800k stuck in neteller, will legal representation help me?

I think you'll get your money. If they aren't going to pay you (for whatever reason) I don't think a lawyer will help one bit. Waiting it out sucks, but I think that's all we can do.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think having legal representation ups my chance of getting my money back enough to be worth the steep price?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Your chances of getting your money back eventually are pretty good, and a lawyer won't likely be able to speed up the process. Think about suing in a year if it looks like they're not ever going to pay you.

Better yet, why sue at all? Just "move to Canada" and get your 800k back. Cheaper, easier and faster than a lawsuit. By far.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just "move to Canada" and get your 800k back. Cheaper, easier and faster than a lawsuit. By far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this alot harder than you make it sound?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:13 AM

I am a lawyer, (not my area of practice) and I don't think this would be worth your investment at the moment. Certainly I would not suggest trying to litigate. If you can find someone who is willing to write a VERY well crafted "demand letter" to Neteller that might be a decent investment.

The problem with writing a good demand letter at the moment is I have yet to see anyone post a reliable comprehensive statement as to why Neteller is not paying and how this relates to the DOJ/USAO and/or bank processing intermediaries. Everything I have heard so far is either vague or contradictory. At the moment I am uncertain whether anything has actually been frozen, seized, voluntarily stopped, lost in transit, lacks any viable processors, or some combination of these.

Without having a crystal clear picture of what has happendd it is impossible to determine whether Neteller has done anything wrong such that you have a remedy. What I really would like to see is someone with some "juice" talking to either the DOJ or Neteller's attorney's to get a clear picture of how things stand presently.

I do not think it is worth your money to force this information into the light. This is something that an entity with deeper pockets than you should fund.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just "move to Canada" and get your 800k back. Cheaper, easier and faster than a lawsuit. By far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this alot harder than you make it sound?

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is having problems getting his money (he quotes the amount as a few hundred) from neteller and he is a legitimate overseas resident.

www.billrini.com/2007/02/04/neteller-starting-to-piss-me-off/
Old 03-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Default YOU HAVE 2% OF THE SEIZED FUNDS!!!!!

You win this contest. I only got $490 frozen.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a lawyer, (not my area of practice) and I don't think this would be worth your investment at the moment. Certainly I would not suggest trying to litigate. If you can find someone who is willing to write a VERY well crafted "demand letter" to Neteller that might be a decent investment.

The problem with writing a good demand letter at the moment is I have yet to see anyone post a reliable comprehensive statement as to why Neteller is not paying and how this relates to the DOJ/USAO and/or bank processing intermediaries. Everything I have heard so far is either vague or contradictory. At the moment I am uncertain whether anything has actually been frozen, seized, voluntarily stopped, lost in transit, lacks any viable processors, or some combination of these.

Without having a crystal clear picture of what has happendd it is impossible to determine whether Neteller has done anything wrong such that you have a remedy. What I really would like to see is someone with some "juice" talking to either the DOJ or Neteller's attorney's to get a clear picture of how things stand presently.

I do not think it is worth your money to force this information into the light. This is something that an entity with deeper pockets than you should fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also am a lawyer. The only real advantage I can see of getting a lawyer now, particularly to write a demand letter as suggested above, is that you might get some sort of priority from Neteller in terms of payment. This would be helpful, for example, if Neteller decided it wouldn't or couldn't pay back everybody -- ie. if it was planning on filing bankruptcy, etc. If I were in your shoes, I'd have a letter drafted for my benefit, preferably from a firm that has a UK office. I don't think it could hurt. But thats if it was me, I have have contacts to be able to do this easily and cheaply (or I could draft it myself). For you, I'd probably take a wait and see approach for at least a little longer until there's more clarity. On the other hand, although you clearly won't litigate this, but getting a letter to their general counsel may have some impact so if you can do it cheaply, go for it. I also agree that the answer to this has to be some Washington lawyer to get in touch with the DOJ and find out what the [censored] is going on.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 PM

Not a lawyer but wouldn't seeking legal representation in Great Britain be the way? Neteller is a British firm and workd under their laws and expectations.It is listed on a GB stock exchange(trading stopped at present). Considering the amount of money held getting proper advice(not US) would be the way to go.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also am a lawyer. The only real advantage I can see of getting a lawyer now, particularly to write a demand letter as suggested above, is that you might get some sort of priority from Neteller in terms of payment. This would be helpful, for example, if Neteller decided it wouldn't or couldn't pay back everybody -- ie. if it was planning on filing bankruptcy, etc. If I were in your shoes, I'd have a letter drafted for my benefit, preferably from a firm that has a UK office. I don't think it could hurt. But thats if it was me, I have have contacts to be able to do this easily and cheaply (or I could draft it myself). For you, I'd probably take a wait and see approach for at least a little longer until there's more clarity. On the other hand, although you clearly won't litigate this, but getting a letter to their general counsel may have some impact so if you can do it cheaply, go for it. I also agree that the answer to this has to be some Washington lawyer to get in touch with the DOJ and find out what the [censored] is going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well bankruptcy court isn't going to care who wrote a letter and who didn't. All of the money in there has the same priority and would get the same cents on the dollar if it comes to that (lets hope not). I agree with the first statement that, at this point, it is tough to tell what the hell is even going on as to why they are not paying for anyone to make an effective attempt to get it back. Having someone contact the DOJ is not the worst idea, but finding the right person who knows anything may be difficult and getting them to voluntarily divulge anything will be just as hard.