Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Borgata PR sports betting charges being brought

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure the county jail or state prison is full of high limit gamblers

[/ QUOTE ]
You are sure???? Are you implying that all high limit gamblers are doing something illegal and should be prosecuted? What else are you sure about?
Old 11-18-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You are sure???? Are you implying that all high limit gamblers are doing something illegal and should be prosecuted? What else are you sure about?

[/ QUOTE ]

9" is only saying this b/c he used to be a regular in the 20/40 kill game at the Atlantic County Jail.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ian and everyone else charged is innocent until proven guilty

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this expression.

It means, "We can't throw him in jail until we prove his guilt."

Everyone uses it to mean, "We have to treat him as if he didn't do anything until the court says otherwise."

Of course, we don't treat him that way at all--we put him in handcuffs and take him to jail and make him attend a trial. If he was truly "innocent until proven guilty", he should ask the judge why an innocent man was arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you totally. The problem is a lot more insidious than that as well. It's that all the young punks have the attitude that it is ok to do anything you want as long as you don't get caught. We have lost the ability to know right from wrong. At what point would what anyone think what was going on was wrong? When somebody got their limb broken? When the level of voilence escalated to killing a victim of this ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any bookmaking or loan-sharking that went on was wrong. My only connection to these guys is a mutual love of the game of poker, so I can't say what else they were or were not doing. If what is alleged was happening, then it was wrong. No one has said otherwise. You are putting words into my mouth.

It is also wrong for random strangers on an anonymous Internet message board to think that they have the right to serve as judge, jury, and executioner.

Thread over.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any bookmaking or loan-sharking that went on was wrong. My only connection to these guys is a mutual love of the game of poker, so I can't say what else they were or were not doing. If what is alleged was happening, then it was wrong. No one has said otherwise. You are putting words into my mouth.

It is also wrong for random strangers on an anonymous Internet message board to think that they have the right to serve as judge, jury, and executioner.

Thread over.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

9" is only saying this b/c he used to be a regular in the 20/40 kill game at the Atlantic County Jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 50/100 full kill at Atlantic County jail, in the mid eighties. It must be 100/200 by now.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:22 PM

It's pretty much open Knowledge in the Borg High room that Ian lent money, If the Feds know half as much as I know Ian pleads.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you totally. The problem is a lot more insidious than that as well. It's that all the young punks have the attitude that it is ok to do anything you want as long as you don't get caught. We have lost the ability to know right from wrong. At what point would what anyone think what was going on was wrong? When somebody got their limb broken? When the level of voilence escalated to killing a victim of this ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to let you know how much I hate this attitude.

I guarantee you my conception of right and wrong is a hell of a lot different than yours.

What "victims" did this "ring" have? Adults gambled, lost, and borrowed money to cover those losses. No one put a gun to their heads and told them they had to take a high interest loan. People are responsible for their own actions, period. If a guy borrows money from a loanshark and can't pay it back, whatever consequences might occur are his own fault. If you have so much concern for these "victims", what about the victims of the credit card companies? What about all the people with ARMs that getting their houses forclosed upon?

If you don't want to be involved in any of the shadier areas of life, then by all means don't get involved in them. Just remember, you're not involved, so whatever happens there is none of your business.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you my conception of right and wrong is a hell of a lot different than yours.

What "victims" did this "ring" have? Adults gambled, lost, and borrowed money to cover those losses. No one put a gun to their heads and told them they had to take a high interest loan. People are responsible for their own actions, period. If a guy borrows money from a loanshark and can't pay it back, whatever consequences might occur are his own fault. If you have so much concern for these "victims", what about the victims of the credit card companies? What about all the people with ARMs that getting their houses forclosed upon?

If you don't want to be involved in any of the shadier areas of life, then by all means don't get involved in them. Just remember, you're not involved, so whatever happens there is none of your business.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize that you're proving his point, don't you? While there are a lot of things I could say on the subject, I don't know any of the individuals involved and don't want to make any negative assumptions regarding their collection methods.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the garden variety attitude of the average street thug...
Old 11-19-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any bookmaking or loan-sharking that went on was wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I disagree. Bookmaking is illegal but not wrong, in my opinion. Loansharking (usury) I'm not clear on. What is its exact definition as distinct from banking loans or credit card loans?