Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players

[ QUOTE ]
If this is your first exposure to 7 card stud then this book will make your head hurt.

I would suggest that you start with a more introductory text ie. West (see stud forum FAQ for a list of books) then get some low buy in experience. Once you have some experience then the information in Zee's book will be easier to understand and apply.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this book I let a friend who was just getting into stud barrow it. It made his head spin like you said. On that note if you have basic knowledge of stud then this book will introduce many advanced concepts and "maneuvers" you can use at the table. If I remember right its aimed at mid-low stakes stud? I don't have it handy right now (not home)
Old 10-21-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this is your first exposure to 7 card stud then this book will make your head hurt.

I would suggest that you start with a more introductory text ie. West (see stud forum FAQ for a list of books) then get some low buy in experience. Once you have some experience then the information in Zee's book will be easier to understand and apply.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this book I let a friend who was just getting into stud barrow it. It made his head spin like you said. On that note if you have basic knowledge of stud then this book will introduce many advanced concepts and "maneuvers" you can use at the table. If I remember right its aimed at mid-low stakes stud? I don't have it handy right now (not home)

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a basic knowledge of poker, not stud .... but if you are totally blank, then I admit, 7CSFAP is a bad fist book.

But then again if you are totally blank, learning hold'em (especially limit) is a better idea due to the large amount of decent material which can't be said of stud [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 AM

Let me extend and revise my remarks.

If you follow West to the letter then yes you will be very weak tight. But the book is an easy read, explains in simple terms what starting hands you want and will steer a begining player away from those deceptive hands that many noobs think are good but are really traps. The OP was looking for a book for a beginer.

Zee is "the" book for stud however it is written like most 2+2 books (and most poker books in general) with a paragraph saying if A then do B and the next paragraph saying however if A when c and d exist then do F or you can do H if you plan on stealing on a later street. If the reader is a beginer then Zee can quicky lead to FPS and many of the concepts do not apply at the very low levels that most beginers start at. In my original post I suggested that he start with a basic book (West just happens to be the most widely available) then with some experience he can move up to Zee.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:17 AM

i think you should definitely read TOP before you read 7CS4AP and also you may want to read chip reese's stud chapter in SS1 which is pretty good. but then just reread 7CS4AP lots!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 AM

I have (and have read) both Roy West's book and Kammen's book, and there's really no reason to own them. I'd played stud for a long time prior to ever reading any books on it, and I don't think either of those books really helped me much at all, and you can get the basics of the game elsewhere or with a little messing around online.

7CSFAP is much more complex a read, but it's not really that bad and the more you play the more it makes sense. I'm kind of in my re-discovering Stud phase and was reading this last night. I play it in a mixed game locally, and just started playing it online.

It's a little dry of so make sure you're not sleepy when you try to read it. I was out in a half hour.

This book takes a lot more effort than the average poker text, but then it's a much more difficult game. I imagine that, with a little effort, the majority of 2+2ers who already play another game can get through it just fine.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 PM

read a beginner book first to learn how to play and lose. then read advanced stuff if you want to make money. if you cant digest advanced material you are not likely to be a long term winner at any stake that can feed you.
if you play a decent amount any sane person willing to read and reread what he doesnt get right off, will come out smelling like roses against those that just play by ear.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:23 PM

The last stud book I bought was by Kammen, (How to beat low-limit 7-card stud).

I never did find out what people here thought of that one. I assume there may be some negative bias, due to it being published by Cardoza, which seems to be a mark against it according to 2+2 fans.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 PM

7CSFAP helped my overall poker game a ton, not just stud. IMO, one of the most under-rated books out there.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The last stud book I bought was by Kammen, (How to beat low-limit 7-card stud).

I never did find out what people here thought of that one. I assume there may be some negative bias, due to it being published by Cardoza, which seems to be a mark against it according to 2+2 fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

That book is fairly reviled and has a lot of problems with it, but not because of the publisher. The author posted a lot on it and accepts a lot of it's faults.

Archived thread: http://sandbox.twoplustwo.com/showfl...art=1&vc=1

In fairness though, a couple things.

First, unlike AndyB I'm not really a legit authority on Stud so just because it didn't help me doesn't really mean that much. Just an opinion.

Second, his stud8 ebook seems to be well received even if I can't speak to it personally.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Im reading 7 Stud for Advanced PLayers at the moment. I have no experience of 7 stud at all before I picked it up, but a decent knowledge of poker. Havent had any problems at all really. If you understand basic poker theory you will be fine