Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Maybe

[ QUOTE ]
I think the truth is some people confuse their subjective opinions with critical thinking...

[/ QUOTE ]
If this were true, you should be able to demonstrate it logically...but you can't, or at least you haven't come close yet. You just make these accusations when you come under fire. You have so far been unable to make a rational case, this is not a subjective matter and not just my opinion. I can elaborate if you want.

[ QUOTE ]
and humility is one of the attributes of critical thinking...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, humility and the fallibility of your own position is a big part of being a reasonable person. Strangely, you hold your position to be immune from questioning. You keep coming back to this specific part of the wikipedia article, but you are missing the crux: making a point that makes sense and could convince reasonable people. If what you say is true, why are you unable to do this?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
^^ I think you posted on the wrong thread JustinA

[/ QUOTE ]

That was from the link you posted in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite certain he doesn't actually read the articles that he links to. He might skim them, but that's about it.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:45 PM

Splendour, do you not realize that all you are succeeding in doing is pushing people farther away from your religion? If you are hoping to find new converts, you are failing miserably.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry thought it was the Sharpton article in another thread you were talking about...I think the truth is some people confuse their subjective opinions with critical thinking...That article is so detailed it could take time to absorb it all, but he is addressing himself to people who are very adamant and not approaching the question with humility...and humility is one of the attributes of critical thinking...(see critical thinking in Wikipedia...it gives a pretty good example of what it should be...people tend to get hot in a debate though and humility goes out the window sometimes.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes humility is part of thinking critically. Specifically, you need to be humble enough to realize that your current position could be wrong. The writer of the paper you linked to showed no such ability. His idea of an argument involved misrepresenting his opponent's arguments, accusing others of being close minded, and in general using unsound arguments to make his own opinion seem like the truth.

Basically the link you gave would be better used as an example of not thinking critically.