Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly the dumbest team in the league?
Yes 11 27.50%
Oakland is dumber 18 45.00%
Arizona is dumber 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Perhaps why you should care about bots and cheats

Sorry for jumping in, but I believe what he's saying is this:

"Bots are such bad PR (To new players/inexperienced players), that sooner or later sites will outlaw them. The prudent move would be for those sites to stop the botting NOW, before government HAS to act. By doing so, they would be able to point at their OWN self-regulation, rather than looking like they are kicking and screaming into it."

I agree with this statement. The damage that botting can do to the image of online poker is HUGE. People want to be sure that they are playing against OTHER PEOPLE, not computer programs. In the long term, a site that condones bots will lose a LARGE section of the market because of the fish won't want to play there. (On a side note, I believe that any bot-friendly site should have to distinguish players as bots)

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't be pressing for things like the Wexler Bill, that addresses the concerns of the anti-gaming crowd. It means that in addition, we should be pressuring those sites to pre-empt the governmental regulations, so to show that the market CAN regulate itself, and the government doesn't NEED to keep a close eye on it.

Apologies if I'm incorrect.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Again, what do you want from us with regards to this?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"Bots are such bad PR (To new players/inexperienced players), that sooner or later sites will outlaw them. The prudent move would be for those sites to stop the botting NOW, before government HAS to act. By doing so, they would be able to point at their OWN self-regulation, rather than looking like they are kicking and screaming into it."

I agree with this statement. The damage that botting can do to the image of online poker is HUGE. People want to be sure that they are playing against OTHER PEOPLE, not computer programs. In the long term, a site that condones bots will lose a LARGE section of the market because of the fish won't want to play there. (On a side note, I believe that any bot-friendly site should have to distinguish players as bots)

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't be pressing for things like the Wexler Bill, that addresses the concerns of the anti-gaming crowd. It means that in addition, we should be pressuring those sites to pre-empt the governmental regulations, so to show that the market CAN regulate itself, and the government doesn't NEED to keep a close eye on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like bots either, and I hope sites will police for them. I don't think anyone here disagrees with that.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly said it better than I can!

Thank you,

D$D
Old 09-30-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like all grassroots groups fully participate in any concrete action you see suggested that you think is worth your time and effort.

If no one has a great idea, or one you think worth your time and effort, try to think one up........

D$D
Old 09-30-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly said it better than I can!

Thank you,

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You guys both consistantly make good points, and it seemed like a misunderstanding [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those of us thinking of any regulator mix for future on-line poker and those that oppose any regulation might want to consider their response to this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read this, I interpreted this to mean you wanted regulation if you are dissatisfied with FT's final response to this issue.

[ QUOTE ]
With lisencing would come some sort of legal entity. I'm not a lawyer but seems like there would be a responsibility of the sites to run a safe and secure game. From a purely business sense free markets are self correcting but some of the swing and scams can really burn people and sometime like the Louisina Lottery scam set an industry back decades.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to imply that you want laws on FT to control for bots. I don't necessarily disagree that licensing should include some verification of reasonable controls to ensure an honest game, by the way.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't the sites have some legal responsibility under Tort law to provide straight games? When their security is breached or over come shouldn't their "coverage" of losses extend beyond whatever they manage to seize?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, it sounds like you're looking for regulation, especially when you coupled this with stuff about sob stories. Sorry if I misunderstood.

IMHO, sites that don't guarantee a fair game will go out of business. It's that simple, especially if U.S.-based companies enter the market.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, sites that don't guarantee a fair game will go out of business. It's that simple, especially if U.S.-based companies enter the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, YES, YES, and YES.

This is why we need to convince those sites to take action NOW.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, YES, YES, and YES.

This is why we need to convince those sites to take action NOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I hate bots as much as anyone here. My concern was lumping this and every gaming-related sob story into a master regulatory scheme. As D$D wasn't proposing that, it's all good.

So, now that we've gone through 1,000 posts to discuss something 100% of us agree on (bots are bad), let's write to FT and tell them so (this could have been accomplished in one five sentence post [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).
Old 09-30-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like all grassroots groups fully participate in any concrete action you see suggested that you think is worth your time and effort.

If no one has a great idea, or one you think worth your time and effort, try to think one up........

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you just say so? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think there are only two things we can do right now (without hurting ourselves in the process). We can either write to FT, demanding action, or we can stop patronizing FT. Seems we should start with the first one. If both fail, we can clearly and concisely publicize this more within the poker community, asking them to write or leave as well.