Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Just Starting Out, need help

Sorry if this has been covered in other areas, but my searches haven't yielded what I'm looking for.

I'm just starting out again on online poker after a few years off. I'm planning on playing at PokerStars and FullTilt.

I'm looking for:
-Rakeback deals
-hand tracking software/website
-recommended bankroll levels (how many BB would you recommend for limit ring, NL ring and for SNGs)

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Just Starting Out, need help

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this has been covered in other areas, but my searches haven't yielded what I'm looking for.

I'm just starting out again on online poker after a few years off. I'm planning on playing at PokerStars and FullTilt.

I'm looking for:
-Rakeback deals

You can find rakeback deals for Full Tilt in the Sponsored Rakeback forums at the bottom of the forum list. You cannot receive rakeback at Full Tilt if you have already made an account and played for real money.

-hand tracking software/website

http://www.pokertracker.com/ should get you going with a good hand tracking software and Poker Ace HUD is a stats overlay program that you should be able to find a link to easily.

-recommended bankroll levels (how many BB would you recommend for limit ring, NL ring and for SNGs)

I'll only comment on NL Ring since it's what i play. 20-25X the max buy in is what is standard.

good luck.
Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Pokertracker is the standard hand tracking software. Probably costs 70 bucks now but you candownload a trial and get 1000 hands analysed for free. Some sites give you a free copy of PT if you sign up.

I'd plan on 50 buyins for SNGs. 500 Blinds for cash games. Someone with more experience in BR management may be along to advise better here.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 PM

And the recommended BR for limit hold'em is 300 big bets (not big blinds). But keep in mind that all bankroll recommendations assume that you are a winning player at your chosen game/stakes, and that you cannot or will not replenish your bankroll out of pocket. If you aren't a winning player, no bankroll is large enough. If you make mad cash at your day job & can throw around a thousand bucks like it's nothing, you don't really have to worry much about BR guidelines.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 AM

for pokertracker, I notice that you can import rules for auto-rating players.

If this is fairly standard across people, is anyone willing to share their ratings so that I don't have to go through manually entering them all?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:18 AM

also, is there a way to grab hand histories from pokerstars even on table that i'm not playing in and get them into poker tracker?

thanks for everyone's help
Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 AM

Poker Tracker has a default set of rules to auto rate players with. There are also some text files floating around that people have made with their own rules, however where you go to find those will depend on what game you are playing. I'm pretty sure you can find some for the micro NL ring games (full and 6max) in the micro NL forum sticky posts. I'm not sure for Limited Hold them.

edit: And no i do not believe data mining is allowed at Poker Stars, meaning you cannot record stats on players unless you are at the table playing