Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: getting autographs at wsop

[ QUOTE ]
I should note that BUYING an autograph is an entirely different thing. I think that's dumb, too--but at least the autograph seeker isn't bothering people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

The actual act of obtaining the autograph is much more exciting than having the autograph. When I was a kid I used to go to ballgames early and try to get anyone in uniform to sign my ball and I cherish those autographs (preston wilson, vance willson, and alberto castillo on the same ball!) much more than I do the few autographs (hank aaron) that I have gotten as gifts.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 PM

The only time I would ever ask for an autograph was if I was actually playing poker with the gentleman at the same table; I'd probably have them sign a card and keep a deck of autographs :P.

That way, I feel an autograph is the least I could get for putting my dead money in the tournament [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I should note that BUYING an autograph is an entirely different thing. I think that's dumb, too--but at least the autograph seeker isn't bothering people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

The actual act of obtaining the autograph is much more exciting than having the autograph. When I was a kid I used to go to ballgames early and try to get anyone in uniform to sign my ball and I cherish those autographs (preston wilson, vance willson, and alberto castillo on the same ball!) much more than I do the few autographs (hank aaron) that I have gotten as gifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, most people don't understand that the allure isn't the item or the name; it's the story. Meeting and having a conversation with, playing with, or just small-talk with someone famous warrants a story. The autograph is to prove to your friends it happened.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM

if someone thinks it's a "bother" to have people admire your life skill to the point of asking for your autograph, then that's sad. I could understand being perturbed if it's done in a rude way, but mostly it seems a huge compliment to me.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM

Would it be wrong to get a "pro" to sign a chip that you won from him/her?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be wrong to get a "pro" to sign a chip that you won from him/her?

[/ QUOTE ]

After you bust him/her out of a tournament? Probably.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5 Year old,

I think everything following "say," can be attributed to Bill Russell, unless CJ comes back and disagrees.

I never got people who autograph hunt, but each to their own - just dont be too insistant i guess - its like if you go to a football game, you dont ask for the autograph during the match, you do it either side, or at half time, but you never chase them down for it because whilst that autograph might be important to you it wont be for the pro in question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the assist. I kinda lost this thread when it got moved, and haven't been reading the forum. Too painful as I am not rolled for anything at all right now. Couple of bad months can do that to ya.

As for Bill Russell, yes, it was him and not I who had the policy. I've been practicing my signature for 40 years. He started doing the handshake thing because he thought getting his autograph for resale was reprehensible. Bill has more dignity than most anyone on the planet.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After reading all these posts, don't think I'll try to get any autographs. The thought of asking now seems embarrassing, I'll just buy a poster. thanks for all the help

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't let these clowns get you down. If you want to get someone's autograph, just be polite about it and ask. No big deal. If someone gets uptight about you asking, well, it's them that has a problem, not you.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Autographs - why. If you want I can sign now.

I wont ask for autograph from any players - even if I reach the FT.

They are also like us, and on some good day there time has worked out well and they have won that's all.

Nothing great about and these autograph hunters elevate them to the next level.

Just poker players - that's all.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 AM

What about shaking something else?