Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Stars Million - Flopped Quads....now what?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check call each street and lead river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah what he said

[/ QUOTE ]

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

stop it guys

just stop it

you flopped quads. bet! he won't put you on a ten. if he has an overpair, you get paid off. if he doesn't, you weren't going to get paid off anyway.

the way you played this hand was like "I HAVE AT LEAST TRIPS SO YOU BETTER MUCK THOSE KINGS!"

c/c, c/c, bet doesn't do that, but it also NEVER builds a pot, and allows scare cards to come to slow our opponent down.

beeeeeeeeeet the floooooooooooooooooooooooooop and to those of you advocating c/c until the river, stop it
Old 09-12-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Say this is me vs another 2+2er.

How wrong is C/Ring the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd CR the flop a ton against good 2p2ers. I'd lead some too, but good players aren't raising you very often on this flop after you lead.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah c/ring this flop is pretty good against a thinking player that knows we know they are a thinking player

edit: but is wrong, i think, against an unknown.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:09 AM

read me
Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 AM

I pot pot pot. If he has a big overpair he basically has to call if you are unknown to him. This line loses you the chips you woulda made if he had AK/AQ and would've caught a pair on the turn but makes the max from AA/KK/QQ/JJ.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Say this is me vs another 2+2er.

How wrong is C/Ring the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd CR the flop a ton against good 2p2ers. I'd lead some too, but good players aren't raising you very often on this flop after you lead.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

There is definitely a time and place for a check-raise but I doubt I'm getting paid off that way against an observant player (this is changing - I am incorporating the CR into my game more) but against a random player on level one of the million is not one.

Leading the flop is good and if villain is a good player has the overpair we hope he has, and need him to have. Then it doesn't much matter if we don't get raised with these stacks. He'll view it as a wa/wb situation and call us down and if he floats a boat...

Obviously, if we think villain thinks that we think he is going to find it difficult to call a check-raise on a paired board by ourselves, well, that's dandy. But I think that villain will think that he knows I know that I am not really going to check-raise trips or quads here and that I will think this is too simple a bluff for him to snap off and thus, not a bluff. It's that simple. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

In short, I can't think of many situations where villain and whatever villain is holding is going to pay us off more if we check-raise than if let him play it wa/wb.

I think there must be and would interested to hear what situations make a cr here more profitable than a lead.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 PM

I like cr the flop, but to cr the turn as well sends a strong signal. I probably check call the turn indicating medium holdings and a steal attempt on the flop. Then make the biggest callable bet on the rvr hoping for a raise.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:13 PM

Lead turn. Checkraising consecutive streets is way too likely to make him go away. Plus you miss a bet when he checks behind.

Quickfetus
Old 09-12-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check call each street and lead river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah what he said

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. To reiterate, check/calling until the river sucks for a wide variety of reasons. Namely, if he has 88/99/JJ/QQ, plenty of scare cards can come and kill your action, whereas you probably would have gotten it in on the flop. You are losing so much value by the check/calldown line.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

stop it guys

just stop it

you flopped quads. bet! he won't put you on a ten. if he has an overpair, you get paid off. if he doesn't, you weren't going to get paid off anyway.

the way you played this hand was like "I HAVE AT LEAST TRIPS SO YOU BETTER MUCK THOSE KINGS!"

c/c, c/c, bet doesn't do that, but it also NEVER builds a pot, and allows scare cards to come to slow our opponent down.

beeeeeeeeeet the floooooooooooooooooooooooooop and to those of you advocating c/c until the river, stop it

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-12-2006, 03:22 PM

The line I prefer here is to lead on the flop and HOPE to get raised or called. If raised, smooth call. On ANY turn, check it to him. It looks really weak and most players will bet into it. On the river I value bet the he|| out of it (about 1/2 - 1/4 pot) unless villain has committed himself, in which case I just push.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually I think you gotta check when you flop quads to the PFR, but I was in a NL600 hand last night that makes me think this might be good.

I had TT on a 995 two [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flop. Someone lead out $200 into a $50 pot and all I could think was there is no way in hell he has the 9. Probably a flush draw, but no way it was the 9.

My point is he didn't have the 9, but if he did, I would've paid it off. Im still not sure betting out is right when you know you're a lock and he's going to bet if you check. If you know he's an aggressive, good player, betting out is probably good. Against an unknown, I'd be too tempted to slowplay.