Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Hand range stuff with pokerstove

I was doing a little thinking about hand ranges, and I was pokerstoving a situation where I put the opponent on either AKs/o, AA, or KK. Then I realized that pokerstove may not do what I thought it did. There are 16 combinations of AK and only 6 of AA and 6 of KK. Therefore it is 2.66x more likely for the opponent to have AK than AA. It is also 1.33x more likely for the opponent to have AK than either AA or KK. I don't think pokerstove takes this into account please correct me if I'm wrong.

Furthermore, does anybody use this sort of thinking when they are playing? For example, there is an x% chance he has YY and I have a z% chance against that hand, and there is a a% chance he has BB and I have a c% chance against that hand so my effective odds are d:e.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Hand range stuff with pokerstove

It does take the number of possible combinations into account, and yes we all consider the number of combos in our decisions.

For example, if you put someone on a premium range of only JJ+/AK, obviously he has twice the probability of being on AK than any of the other 4 hands. (16 combos out of a total 40 for all 5 hands.) You would make your decision based on the assumption that he has AK 40% of the time.