Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

I'm considering doing some tabata type work to lose some blubber. On sunday, I am scheduled to do squats, overhead press and power cleans as part of my "starting strength" workouts. Should I do some tabata sprints (20 sec sprint, 10 sec rest, eight times) immediately after my workout, or should I do these on a non-workout day? One article on t-nation suggested doing front squats with light weight in the same manner as tabata sprints. I'd actually like to start running again instead though.

I'd like to keep my progress going on the basic lifts at the same time.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:26 PM

non-lifting days. I too am basically doing the SS workout MWF and trying to do a crossfit metcon workout tu/thurs. I'm lucky if I get 1 or 2 of those in cause I am normally spent from the lifting..but I'm not sleeping as much as I could be.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 PM

One problem I'm having with SS is doing the heavy squats every single workout, I feel like I'm really using up my leg power. I'd like to do some running/biking/etc. on the off days, but 1) I'm so sore from the squats it's hard to even do it, and 2) if I do some hard leg cardio I feel like it takes away from my squat the next day.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One problem I'm having with SS is doing the heavy squats every single workout, I feel like I'm really using up my leg power. I'd like to do some running/biking/etc. on the off days, but 1) I'm so sore from the squats it's hard to even do it, and 2) if I do some hard leg cardio I feel like it takes away from my squat the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not familiar with the SS reoutines, but you might try some form of microperiodization like Starr's program that has heavy/light/medium days throughout the week.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really doing SS, just sort of. Basically 5x5 or 6x3 MWF a pull exercise (almost always some form of pull up), a push exercise, and then I do 2 leg exercises consisting of squats/dl/lunges on a rotation....so M squat/dl, W, dl/lunge, F, lunge/squat, rinse repeat...might give you some freedom... I probably don't need extra exercsies but I don't really feel like I kill myself on only 1 push or pull exercise so I will normally throw in a varied row and weighted dips, if I really want to kill myself. I wrap up with some ab work and this pretty much kills me. I can't do a lot of the crossfit workouts, but for now I want to get stronger so I can actually complete a few of them rather than always having to cut them down.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The down portion of the lift is getting too hard to do while maintaining a straight back. I think I'll just let go of it about 4 inches off the ground from now on. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ] I just drop it. Kind of sucks because my gym has all iron weights but I dont care. Once you lift it your done with the lift so you can let it go. Step back though because once I wore shorts instead of pants and the bar nicked my shin and it wasnt pleasant.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How long have you been doing heavy squats three times a week? I adapted pretty quickly to the every-other-day schedule, and only get minor soreness the day after. I actually don't feel spent at all on off days, just a little sore.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The down portion of the lift is getting too hard to do while maintaining a straight back. I think I'll just let go of it about 4 inches off the ground from now on. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ] I just drop it. Kind of sucks because my gym has all iron weights but I dont care. Once you lift it your done with the lift so you can let it go. Step back though because once I wore shorts instead of pants and the bar nicked my shin and it wasnt pleasant.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll have to bring an extra towel to soften the landings, don't want to interrupt anyone doing curls.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How long have you been doing heavy squats three times a week? I adapted pretty quickly to the every-other-day schedule, and only get minor soreness the day after. I actually don't feel spent at all on off days, just a little sore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just started like 3 weeks ago so hopefully I'll get used to it.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:23 AM

3/25

Crap workout. I only got 3 hours of sleep last night and had to work all day. Ate burger king for dinner last night AND for lunch today. Blech.

I've got a little soreness in my left shoulder, probably from my first day of power cleans. I decided to forego my upper body workout today to allow my joints to heal.

Squats: 3x5x190. On the fifth rep of sets 1 and 2, I got a little loose on the bottom and lost my trunk tightness, which made me lose momentum. I probably should have let the bar fall off at that point, but I powered through it. I think I wasn't leaned over enough, causing my balance to shift from the middle of my foot to my heels. Last set was good, but pretty damn hard.

Overhead press: During warmups, shoulder pain did not go away, so I skipped the presses. I worked on racking the bar on my deltoids with my elbows pointing forward. The bar damn near chokes me in the process when I do it.

Power Cleans: I brought Starting Strength to the gym to help me remember the coaching cues for the power clean. I used an empty bar to practice sliding the bar up and down my thighs and sticking my butt back. I'm having a hard time making the bar slide against my thighs when I start the movement from the bottom, but I have no problem when the bar is in the hang position and I lower it. Also, the "jump" part feels a little awkward and uncoordinated.

Because I didn't do any work sets for power cleans, I did deadlifts to compensate.
DL: 1x5x195

Not sure what I should do on tuesday as far as upperbody workout goes.