Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I would call it explosive, but it's as explosive as it's going to get until I start struggling at the end of a set and I have to push through a sticking point. Keep in mind that this is all done with zero leg movement whatsoever -- doing it with leg movement to help you get it up would make it a push press or something along those lines and would make it more explosive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not consciously using leg power, but I'll have someone check. Just wondering, because my last workout was a bit more explosive than before.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I would call it explosive, but it's as explosive as it's going to get until I start struggling at the end of a set and I have to push through a sticking point. Keep in mind that this is all done with zero leg movement whatsoever -- doing it with leg movement to help you get it up would make it a push press or something along those lines and would make it more explosive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not consciously using leg power, but I'll have someone check. Just wondering, because my last workout was a bit more explosive than before.

[/ QUOTE ]
UPDATE!

I forgot to post my stats in the OP. I'm about 5'9", 215 lbs. Pretty thick guy with most of my fat on my manboobs and gut.

My overhead presses were done without leg power. I moved up five pounds today, and hit a sticking point about halfway through the motion. It's probably because I had so much momentum last time, and didn't have to actually push through that part.

Anyways, here's today. Woke up late, drank a glass of milk and OJ before the workout.

3/22
S: 185x5x3. Last rep was hard.

P: 110x5x3. Hit a sticking point a couple times, but was able to push it through and lockout each rep. Gets a little squirrely when you can barely put it up. I did Overhead Press on tuesday, and did it today because the benches were in use, for curl exercises no less.

DL: 190x5x1. The down portion of the lift is getting too hard to do while maintaining a straight back. I think I'll just let go of it about 4 inches off the ground from now on. Thoughts?

I have barely touched the assistance exercises, which are dips and pullups. I'm not even sure I can do a pullup. I've done dips like twice, and couldn't do a set of 8. Anyone wanna make wagers on how many pullups I can do next workout?

Drank two scoops of Optimum nutrition double rich chocolate w/milk postworkout. Tastes good.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:24 PM

You may want to add some quicker-absorbing carbs to your post-workout shake. It's necessary for a number of reasons, including spiking your insulin levels, restoring your depleted glycogen stores, and helping your body get out of a catabolic state.

pre, during, post nutrition information. Of particular note is the claim that pre-workout nutrition being more important than post-workout. Interesting. Also seems to be backed up here.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:00 PM

This program looks a little like the one Bill Starr advocated in "The Strongest Shall Survive". You can probably find most if not all of the stuff in there for free on the interwebs now but its worth the read if you're bored or just like that kinda stuff.

Also, check out this video if you're having trouble with squat form or anything like that.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81301858251744

Good luck with your goals.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may want to add some quicker-absorbing carbs to your post-workout shake. It's necessary for a number of reasons, including spiking your insulin levels, restoring your depleted glycogen stores, and helping your body get out of a catabolic state.

pre, during, post nutrition information. Of particular note is the claim that pre-workout nutrition being more important than post-workout. Interesting. Also seems to be backed up here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that link. I've got dextrose, whey, and casein coming in the mail soon.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This program looks a little like the one Bill Starr advocated in "The Strongest Shall Survive". You can probably find most if not all of the stuff in there for free on the interwebs now but its worth the read if you're bored or just like that kinda stuff.

Also, check out this video if you're having trouble with squat form or anything like that.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81301858251744

Good luck with your goals.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe madcow's bill starr 5x5 site has the same program. This program is also recommended in Starting Strength under the programming section, for intermediate lifters. I'm still gaining every workout, so I'll stick with Starting Strength until I hit a wall. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that link. I've got dextrose, whey, and casein coming in the mail soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you planning on using these? Dextrose + whey pwo shake? Casein before bed? meal replacements? what? Give me a layout of your daily meals just cause I'm curious. Also what % bf? What ratios in the shakes will you be using?

Finally most important question of all, did you find a good/reliable site where you ordered all 3?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:03 PM

The 45 LB plates in my gym are sooo awesome, they're from the 80's and they're old school thick rimmed iron. Anyways, one day me and my partner decided to weigh them for whatever reason, and they turned out to weigh 46.5 LBS.

Which meant our bench presses were 10 LB stronger than what we thought.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you planning on using these? Dextrose + whey pwo shake? Casein before bed? meal replacements? what? Give me a layout of your daily meals just cause I'm curious. Also what % bf? What ratios in the shakes will you be using?

Finally most important question of all, did you find a good/reliable site where you ordered all 3?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the whey and dextrose is for post-workout in a 2:1 ratio dex/whey (in grams, not volume of scoop). I picked that up from guids, skunk et al. The casein is for before bed, and possibly other times not near a workout.

My eating is not very consistent, but it consists of mostly grocery food. I eat homemade sandwiches pretty often, as well as eggs. I don't eat fast food very often, but when I do, it's usually something decent like subway. I drink a decent amount of milk (skim), probably two gallons a week. Diet soda is a staple in my diet. I've been eating almonds for snacking recently instead of buying baked chips or something. I also eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches pretty often.

What's my bodyfat? I have no idea, but it's probably near the obese range. I don't really care much at this point though. I plan on doing some HIIT to lose fat and look better, but I don't want to disrupt the progress I'm seeing in my lifting right now.

I ordered from bulknutrition.com, I'll let you know whether it's reliable when I receive my order.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:44 PM

1fast400 (1fast = bulknutrition) is certainly reliable, great site.