Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 06-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: A very difficult roommate situation

I would kill that woman. Split the bill 3 ways with her.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:17 PM

That is seriously [censored] up. I'd tell the owners to kiss my ass and I wouldn't pay the fine unless they could prove there was a subletter and it violated the terms of the contract. Basically make it real difficult for the landlord to do anything and they will probably back down. As for whoever squealed, I'd make life hell for them.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Read it again, still confused. Who are the original renters (names on the lease). Who are the subletters?

Edit: BTW, I'd get him out, but not pay JACK as far as the fine they say you owe. Make them prove it.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Who should pay the fine(s)? Should it be the roommate who housed his friend or should it be his friend for taking him up on the offer? Both of them knew it was against the contract, but did this anyway. Is it best to split the costs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems logical that they should split the fine, or maybe some portion. Say anywhere from 50/50 to 30/70 (with the greater portion being paid by the subletor), but the subletee should be paying some of the fine IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
-Should anything be done about the potential squealer? Myself and Joe personally do not like this person too much and the feelings might be mutual.

[/ QUOTE ]

What could you really do? You could ask her if she squealed... But then what? you can't really just kick people out because you don't like them.

[ QUOTE ]
-Joe's friend, who is enrolled in classes at University Park will have no place to stay. Does Joe have an obligation to help find his friend another place to stay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why, but a real friend would normally want to help his friend out right?

Other:
-How can the landlord fine their tenant like that? Is that standard in the states? I've never heard of anything like this in Canada. Was there a provision for fines like this in the original lease? Are these fines within the rental property laws of your jurisdiction?
Old 06-05-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apartment complex owners found out and demand a $100 fine per day the friend was here (over 3 weeks). Neither of them can pay that much in fines and it is non-negotiable.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's over $2100. They really should've discussed this beforehand. But I think 50/50 is fine.

I'd actually try to find a new place if at all possible. If this fine isn't written into the contract, then i'd just bust out and find a new place (not paying the fine).

So - here are the two questions: Will the management go after him for not paying the fine? Is it written into the contract that they must pay $100/day?
Old 06-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Unless it's written into the lease, this $100/day thing is complete BS, especially if they have no proof of how long he's been there. What if they said they were charging $1000/day? Again, unless it's in the lease, they can't just set an arbitrary number here and expect you to pay up. Granted, they can evict your asses, but that's different.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:28 PM

wtf is difference between sheltering and subletting? dont pay anything.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:34 PM

Keep in mind that I personally have no direct involvement in this situation. I knew about the illegality of the situation and really didn't care. Even if I did, I'm not a rat. I am not receiving any payment what so ever from Joe's friend. Joe individually did this of his own volition, not me.

There were a handful of people who knew about this and only one of them has an incentive to notify anybody about the situation. I don't know if it is possible for anybody else to know unless somebody ran around and screamed it out loud. Myself and the potential snitch (a girl, not guy btw) have no connection beyond roommates. Same applies to Joe and his stowaway friend.

Joe did fib when he was notified about the fine. He said that his friend was only staying "for a few days". But the owners said, "Well, we heard it was longer than that". How could they know that it wasn't just for a few days unless someone told them in detail how long he's been here?

I don't have the contract with me at this time, but there is a terms of agreement that you sign along with the contract. I am fairly sure that somewhere in there is probably the punishment for this violation.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Bob,

I'm super confused here. You say:

"During the summer, many students who live in apartments sublet their rooms. People stay in their apartment rooms and pay the students a monthly cost to do so."

And then in the next paragraph talk about how one of your roommates did that and it was breaking the rules? I'm seriously confused here and read it a bunch of times. And I think otb is too so at least if I'm dumb I'm in good company.

Also, eff paying that extremely steep, probably unenforceable fine. That's ridiculously steep for college students.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bob,

I'm super confused here. You say:

"During the summer, many students who live in apartments sublet their rooms. People stay in their apartment rooms and pay the students a monthly cost to do so."

And then in the next paragraph talk about how one of your roommates did that and it was breaking the rules? I'm seriously confused here and read it a bunch of times. And I think otb is too so at least if I'm dumb I'm in good company.

Also, eff paying that extremely steep, probably unenforceable fine. That's ridiculously steep for college students.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who own these apartment complexes get a huge chunk of money from students having to pay these fines. They are obscenely high. You should see some of the fines that are levied if the apartment isn't properly cleaned when the lease expires. The owners are easily multi-millionaires.

Subletting dictates that you are actually leaving the apartment yourself and you're renting out your unoccupied room to somebody else. Joe did not do that. He maintained residence at the apartment while allowing his friend to essentially squat here as well for a small cost. Hence the difference.