Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

View Poll Results: BUSTO font
Its fine 47 74.60%
Other (please list) 5 7.94%
results 11 17.46%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Help me pick a website name

[ QUOTE ]
I have no suggestions because I'm not going to spend the necessary hours searching for available domains, but I wouldn't use any of these.

-The first three are very long
-Best/cool at the beginning sounds cheap
-Hyphenated names are almost always a terrible choice
-.net names are almost always a terrible choice

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically everything he said
Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frink, how are you monetizing? and how are you drawing in initial traffic? (this should play a part in determining how much time to spend on the URL)

[/ QUOTE ]

Admittedly, I haven't fully thought out the monetizing, although I have thought a fair bit about the site's content. However, off the top of my head, the monetizing could include any or all of:

-Google Adsense
-Text link ads
-Some services/info could involve a paid subscription and/or one time access fees. This is one that I would have to think hard on... I.e. I wouldn't do this unless I felt I had a 'product/info' to sell that I felt was valuable enough.
-Amazon affiliate program (and possibly others)

I'm not sure I'd implement these all at once. Obviously the site would have to grow to a certain point before paid links could be implemented, for example.

The initial traffic will definitely be a challenge and I would be grateful for any suggestions on that front. One thing I could do is buy a few 'review me' reviews from certain popular blogs. I might do some posting in a relevant forum, which allows website links in the post signatures. Admittedly though, this is one area where I'm pretty weak. Would appreciate any help.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some thoughts:

.org/.net causes people to screw up the URL more

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't thought this would be a huge deal since there are some fairly popular .org sites out there. But, more than a couple of you have mentioned this, so I'll keep that in mind for sure.

[ QUOTE ]
last letter of first word being the same as the first letter of the next word also causes people to screw up the URL more

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point for sure.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some thoughts:

.org/.net causes people to screw up the URL more

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't thought this would be a huge deal since there are some fairly popular .org sites out there. But, more than a couple of you have mentioned this, so I'll keep that in mind for sure.

[ QUOTE ]
last letter of first word being the same as the first letter of the next word also causes people to screw up the URL more

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think of more alone these lines.

Say your sites name is pokersucks.org. It comes up in conversation, someone remembers the pokersucks part but types in .com. Nothing comes up. I think a larger percentage would NOT bother to google pokersucks, or to try other extensions.

Sure there are some popular .orgs and .nets but if it can be AT ALL avoided I would.

In terms of the name itself, keep in mind those same kind of people. Avoid anything that can be mispelled, misheard, or misunderstood.

-Evan
Old 04-16-2007, 10:54 PM

Also, Im curious what you think you can offer thats not already out there.

You dont have to share of course, just make sure youve thought that part through before you bother. I dont know much about the field but Im fairly sure Ive heard of some large similar sites already.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:03 PM

Yeah, I have a little something up my sleeve. There are lots of sites with career/job profiles out there, but mine would have a somewhat unique slant. I have identified one competitor with a similar concept that seems to be very well done but I think they are charging to much for their info.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Frink, how are you monetizing? and how are you drawing in initial traffic? (this should play a part in determining how much time to spend on the URL)

[/ QUOTE ]

Admittedly, I haven't fully thought out the monetizing, although I have thought a fair bit about the site's content. However, off the top of my head, the monetizing could include any or all of:

-Google Adsense
-Text link ads
-Some services/info could involve a paid subscription and/or one time access fees. This is one that I would have to think hard on... I.e. I wouldn't do this unless I felt I had a 'product/info' to sell that I felt was valuable enough.
-Amazon affiliate program (and possibly others)

I'm not sure I'd implement these all at once. Obviously the site would have to grow to a certain point before paid links could be implemented, for example.

The initial traffic will definitely be a challenge and I would be grateful for any suggestions on that front. One thing I could do is buy a few 'review me' reviews from certain popular blogs. I might do some posting in a relevant forum, which allows website links in the post signatures. Admittedly though, this is one area where I'm pretty weak. Would appreciate any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, so you haven't thought about monetizing, or how to get traffic...

so, what's your edge, why a career planning site?

or, is this just a adsense arb site?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 PM

I was searching for career profiles myself but wasn't finding the type of info I was looking for. In fact, it took me quite a bit of clever google searching to find even one site that had what I was looking for. And they're charging too much IMO.

No, I was planning on having a legitimate site with useful content. Not an adsense arb site.

Edited to add: Do you have any other monetizing ideas for a career profile related website?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was searching for career profiles myself but wasn't finding the type of info I was looking for. In fact, it took me quite a bit of clever google searching to find even one site that had what I was looking for. And they're charging too much IMO.

No, I was planning on having a legitimate site with useful content. Not an adsense arb site.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, now we are getting somewhere... so is the point of the site to provide useful information to people first... and then worry about how to make money from it, as an afterthought?

btw, what career profile were you looking for but having trouble finding?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:24 PM

I don't know if I'd call it an afterthought, as I would like it to be monetized in some form so that it's worth my time and effort (at least eventually). But yeah, the main goal of the site would be to provide free and useful career info to people of all ages. Monetizing would be the 2nd or 3rd goal, but an important goal nonetheless. I would want to have at least a framework plan for monetization before I fully jumped into the deep end.

I can't remember what career profile I was looking for specifically... I think maybe I was looking for info on consulting engineering (i.e. what's it like to be a one man engineering consultant out of your home). Anyway, it was more that I was looking for the info to be presented in a certain way and I couldn't really find it.