Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 05:32 PM

Default NL25 challenging c-bets

Ok, some general question here.

I am the preflop cold-caller / flop raiser (CO).

Villain (MP2, Button is bad player) is one of the abc players of NL25, and by that I mean he has a reasonable starting hand range, and he is c-betting ~100% of all flops against one or two players, plus he is getting honest and conservativ when it comes to playing for stacks.

This can be exploited, as he puts mones in every flop, while he doesn´t have a big hand very often.

Now here´s a hand that went well for me.

<u>Questions</u> I have:
1. What´s the minimum hand you want to have to raise the c-bet of this specific player type, or do you sometimes do it out of principle?
2. What kind of flop are you looking for?
3. What´s the minimum bet size that will normaly get the job done if he doesn´t have a strong hand?
4. Bad player behind me acceptable to make a move, or is this a no-no?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($29.50)
MP2 ($37)
CO ($28.95)
Button ($5.80)
SB ($14.50)
BB ($15.80)
UTG ($57.10)

Preflop:
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $0.75</font>, CO calls $0.75, Button calls $0.75, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.60) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $...</font>, Button folds, MP2 folds.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: NL25 challenging c-bets

Questions I have:
1. What´s the minimum hand you want to have to raise the c-bet of this specific player type, or do you sometimes do it out of principle?

It's so much more about the situation and not the hand. If the board texture is right, it's likely you don't have a hand either, just position. That said, if you do have a semi-bluffing hand, fire away.

I would say you want to mix in raises with smooth calls where you are going to bet the turn if he checks. That's my preference anyway. Floating plays a lot more like top pair and is still hard to call. You can't have trips every time.

2. What kind of flop are you looking for?
Generally not A high, but it depends on the villain and his ability to fold. I really like low, paired flops like 662 or 884. Generally low flops that are drawy like 4s6s7x. On both those kinds of flops it is impossible to call with unpaired cards and really hard to call with hands like 88 if the player is any good.

3. What´s the minimum bet size that will normaly get the job done if he doesn´t have a strong hand?

Whatever my typical raise amount is. Usually something like 2.5-3x his bet.

4. Bad player behind me acceptable to make a move, or is this a no-no?

I like to do this when I have position on all players and generally try not to pull it out of the bag in multiway pots. Bad players make it worse, I think. They tend to call to much. That's just not what you want.