Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Ask Freerollin` about 10 years in Law Enforcement

Is there some kind of unwrittin traffic code where if you drop a name of another cop that you know when pulled over you let the person off off from a traffic violation?
Say i get pulled over in a totally different district will the cop try to catch up with my friend afterword?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:43 AM

Time you were most scared while on the beat?

Ever shoot someone? Story?

Ever think about becoming a detective or PI?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you glad you did it? Because everything that I've been hearing about the legal profession of late has been MISERABLE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually leaving the practice of law. I enjoyed law school but hate the practice. Prosecuting was good work, but it pays crap, and I don't want to practice private law.

[/ QUOTE ]

could you be more specific about the pay scale? what salary range would one expect out of school and living in what geographic area to put that range in perspective? how about five to ten years down the road?

do you laugh when they wax philosophical on every episode of Law and Order?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:49 AM

Three questions.

What is the funniest/weirdest story you have from being an officer.?

What was the biggset crime\charge\incident you ever arrested someone for?

Before I ask this let me say I am 100% supporter of police. This is not a flame attempt, I'm actually curious.

Was there ever a time, you might be having a bad day, when looking back on it feel now feel you acted like the negative stereotype - "cop on a power trip" to someone?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:50 AM

Speeding tickets:

Typical situation, a person is pulled over for doing something like 15 over the speed limit.

What's your best move to get out of the ticket?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:50 AM

Obviously, any intelligent person realizes that they are far less likely to be caught for a crime if the victim is random. Motive isn't an element in criminal laws, but it sure makes it easier to catch and convict a person if there's a motive.

So I'm not sure what the actual "chances" are of getting away with murder since it's clearly a case by case basis. I can tell you this, though - the vast majority of people who get nabbed for a crime are caught because they do things too quickly and don't put enought thought into leaving the least possible amount of evidence behind.

Also, when I asked you where it was going to be done, I meant the geographic location. If state lines were crossed, the feds would become involved, and your chances of being caught would have increased astronomically. The feds aren't that much smarter (they are, to some degree), but their resources (compared to state-level law enforcement) are enormous.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you were a cop on the beat, how many donuts would you eat per shift?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depended on cost. Being a cheap bastard, I only wanted them if they were free.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there some kind of unwrittin traffic code where if you drop a name of another cop that you know when pulled over you let the person off off from a traffic violation?
Say i get pulled over in a totally different district will the cop try to catch up with my friend afterword?

[/ QUOTE ]

My traffic patrol experience is EXTREMELY limited - maybe 10-15 shifts. The code, as far as I know, is "No, I don't know your friend Officer so-and-so, and you're still getting a ticket."

Don't name drop. It doesn't work.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, any intelligent person realizes that they are far less likely to be caught for a crime if the victim is random. Motive isn't an element in criminal laws, but it sure makes it easier to catch and convict a person if there's a motive.

So I'm not sure what the actual "chances" are of getting away with murder since it's clearly a case by case basis. I can tell you this, though - the vast majority of people who get nabbed for a crime are caught because they do things too quickly and don't put enought thought into leaving the least possible amount of evidence behind.

Also, when I asked you where it was going to be done, I meant the geographic location. If state lines were crossed, the feds would become involved, and your chances of being caught would have increased astronomically. The feds aren't that much smarter (they are, to some degree), but their resources (compared to state-level law enforcement) are enormous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely in the Phoenix/Metro area..

Before I start coming off as too creepy, this line of questioning is coming in relation to the Baseline Killer in AZ.

Ray
Old 09-13-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Time you were most scared while on the beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Serving a warrant on the biggest piece of white trash I've ever seen, my partner is telling his wife to STFU after we cuffed him. Out of nowhere comes a big German Shepard barking and snarling. I think I had a quick heart attack before pulling my gun. The dog had stopped about six feet in front of me before I pulled the gun, and the wife made him calm down. If he hadn't stopped, I never would have pulled the gun in time and probably would have been attacked.

[ QUOTE ]
Ever shoot someone? Story?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, fortunately. Above story is the only time I actually pulled my gun.

[ QUOTE ]
Ever think about becoming a detective or PI?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, too much work to establish a business, and the hours are crazy. I'm not sure how much they make, either.