Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Quad C
#1 Nas - Illmatic 106 88.33%
#16 Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 14 11.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Flat betting v. varying bet size question (and a poll!)

So I'm thumbing through my sharp sports betting book, and I look at the section on bet sizing for the first time in a long time.

Wong advocates betting on faves to win one unit (which I do), i.e., laying $130 on a -130 baseball fave (for my examples, I'm using $100 as 1 unit), and doing the same thing with dogs, i.e. betting $80 to win $100 on a +125 dog.

I always did what he suggested with faves, but not with dogs, where I would always lay one unit, i.e. laying $100 to win $125 in the above example. This, of course, was a general rule, and I would deviate occasionally.

Do others here bet similarly to my system, or Wong's?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Flat betting v. varying bet size question (and a poll!)

I just bet a flat amount...then win whatever it is. So I bet $100 on fav's...$100 on dogs.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:29 AM

I never understood why someone would just flat bet. Betting an amount proportional to your edge only seems logical. I mean, if in one game you have a 5% edge and in another 10%, you should be betting more on the second game, right?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:48 PM

I always bet 1 unit...whether it's a favorite or a dog.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never understood why someone would just flat bet. Betting an amount proportional to your edge only seems logical. I mean, if in one game you have a 5% edge and in another 10%, you should be betting more on the second game, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be very impressed if someone can accurately assess when they have these different edges.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be very impressed if someone can accurately assess when they have these different edges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Plus, if you bet one unit on a minimum edge (say, 5%), what do you do when you have what you perceive is a 20% edge? Quadruple your original bet? That's the road to busto, IMO.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:14 PM

its fairly important from a bankroll perspective to take wong's advice when you are betting a lot of longshots. ie if you made a ton of world series futures bets or pennant/division bets. you could end up with 1/5 of your bankroll resting on 20 to 1 shots otherwise. since i have other sources of income, i like taking a more aggressive than normal betting approach so i bet one unit one a +150 line normally (not that that is particularly aggressive).
Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, it's all estimating, but I'm sure pro cappers can tell when they have a small edge versus a large one.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Plus, if you bet one unit on a minimum edge (say, 5%), what do you do when you have what you perceive is a 20% edge? Quadruple your original bet? That's the road to busto, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there is a way to remain risk-averse while taking into account different perceived edges.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's pretty easy if you handicap the lines yourself (or have someone who does it for you).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You would use the Kelly formula, or the reduce the variance a fractional Kelly formula. You can theoretically never go bust, although you can experience extremely harsh downswings.