View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
And A-Rod probably doesn't care that much about what folks on the street do. I realize that point isn't lost on you...but even if he doesn't have a "I'll sacrifice so the team can win" mentality, he still puts up the numbers that help a team win. To say otherwise is retarded.

To put it another way, if A-Rod weren't a Yankee this year, would they have made the playoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the Yankees would most likely not have made the playoffs this year without A-Rod, and I wouldn't argue otherwise.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone think the Yankees are still going to be involved in future negotiations? Or is it everyone opinion that Cash is going to stick to his guns and move on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope the resign him anyway. I doubt it though.

Steinbrenner's comments make that difficult, as does Cashman's own. But at least Cashman was speaking from a business point of view; Steinbrenner, who is a [censored] idiot, was speaking in vague generalizations which ironically will be harder to retract.

I think that if Cashman had told Steinbrenner his position was a negotiation ploy, Steinbrenner wouldn't have blasted Arod in the papers. That might be giving Hank too much credit though.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And A-Rod probably doesn't care that much about what folks on the street do. I realize that point isn't lost on you...but even if he doesn't have a "I'll sacrifice so the team can win" mentality, he still puts up the numbers that help a team win. To say otherwise is retarded.

To put it another way, if A-Rod weren't a Yankee this year, would they have made the playoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the Yankees would most likely not have made the playoffs this year without A-Rod, and I wouldn't argue otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, so here's where I'm confused.

<ul type="square">[*]He can make or break a playoff team[*]He may go down as the greatest player of all time[/list]
That's not good enough?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 PM

Hey RedBean, want proof of the whole media shaping people's opinions thing?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I figure in the next five years, 30% of those who claim to be Yankees fans will be claiming to be lifetime Red Sox fans, and their leader will be Rudy Giuliani.

[/ QUOTE ]

im obv not a yankee fan, but this statement about gulianni is retarted. Guliani is a yankee fan, hes not switching. he basically said, the yankees are out of it, im an american league fan, so im rooting for the sox

nothing wrong with that, and it was blown out of proportion by the media.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is everything in the world wrong with that. No self-respecting born-and-bred Yankee fan can root for the Red Sox to win the World Series. The rivalry is a bitter one -- probably the biggest and most bitter in professional sports (Not the place for that debate and I won't compare it to the legendary college rivalries). While you can congratulate the Red Sox (and their fans) on playing well after the series is over, you cannot root for the Red Sox to win.

Giuliani is a politician and he made an ill-advised political statement to win support in New England. He is deceptive and disingenuous and is still riding the wave of getting lucky that his arrogant personality making him look strong after the 9/11 attacks.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:06 PM

Got it, thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, so here's where I'm confused.

<ul type="square">[*]He can make or break a playoff team[*]He may go down as the greatest player of all time[/list]
That's not good enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good enough for what? He's good enough to help a team with flaws make the playoffs. Is he good enough to help a team win a World Series? Obviously, he's good enough to be a key contributor, but no one player is good enough to win a World Series. And that is why, to some extent, chemistry matters. Because no one player can do it by themself.

And it just seems to me that someone who would make such an announcement at that time, for the
purpose of upstaging the Series, is probably not someone who would add to the chemistry of a team, and would likely detract from it. The announcement clearly was not made for purposes of negotiation, because that announcement could have been made today, if that were the only intended effect. No, the announcement was made in order to make A-Rod the story, and the center of attention. That doesn't seem like the kind of personality trait common of someone who is willing to put the success of the team ahead of his own -- and much like the fact his slugging prowess *can* be the difference between a team making the playoffs or not (and this year, probably was the main difference), his self-centeredness *can* be the difference between a team playing well enough collectively to win a World Series or not.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:25 PM

so was ARODS self centeredness at all at fault for them losing a 5 game series to a good team?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod is simply a great player, possibly the greatest of all time, but not much else.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a-rod has some positives, some negatives but overall is the greatest player of all time. Why wouldn’t a team want to spend top dollar on him?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM

You can't write some of this stuff...some of the things the Yankees FO thinks/says, some of the things the media says, and some of the things posters in this very thread are saying.

I mean it's inconceivable.

BEST PLAYER ON THE PLANET = GTFO YOU ARENT "TRUE".

I mean. Wow. Just. Wow. Even though I dislike all things Red Sox, I almost hope they buy him so he can stuff it down NY's asses for the next 7 years or so. There's just no place for ignorance and stupidity at this level. This isn't a high school baseball coach cutting a guy because he's "too short to play". This is the best baseball league the world has known and decision-makers suddenly have IQ's of 65.