Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 09:43 AM

Default NL10: TT heads-up commitment decision

Background: Been pretty cold-decked at this table. VPIP around 10 or so, and the big cards I've been raising preflop have largely missed postflop, and I've either been c/f UI multiway or folding after a cbet getting raised postflop. My table image is probably kind of nitty at this point.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($9.85)
UTG+1 ($7.15)
MP1 ($9.95)
MP2 ($9.75)
CO ($10.70)
Button ($10.20)
SB ($3.90)
Hero ($7.05)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, MP1 calls $0.40, SB folds.

Flop: ($1.10) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.8</font>, MP1 calls $0.80.

Turn: ($2.70) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1.2</font>, Hero calls $1.20.

River: ($5.10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $4</font>, Hero ...

After my flop bet gets called, I check for pot control, but I wonder given the potential straight draw out if I should have bet. When villain bets, I figure given my image he could be betting a variety of hands worse than top pair and call.

River is a blank and MP1 essentially puts me all-in for around a PSB. In retrospect, leaving myself a PSB behind seems to be what set up this tough river decision. Did calling this turn commit me to calling the river? And if so, should I just have pushed the turn?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Re: NL10: TT heads-up commitment decision

This I would just fold on the flop until I got a read on my opponent. Id want to know that he does float c-bets a lot or else Im likely to spew on later streets.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: NL10: TT heads-up

Any reads on MP1? I could see villain limping with hands like TJs which like that board.. I don't see him calling youd flop bet with much less than TP, unless he has 78 for the double gutshot. I doub't he'd like to play a gutshot and would he limp-call PF with hands like T8? I'm not too keen on playing a big pot with over cards on the flop and OOP, so I'd probably fold on turn although its very tempting to call that small bet...
Old 11-22-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This I would just fold on the flop until I got a read on my opponent. Id want to know that he does float c-bets a lot or else Im likely to spew on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to make sure I read that correctly, did you mean check/fold the flop, or check/fold the turn? If the former, I'm wondering what the reasoning is. There's only a single overcard and the board isn't terribly coordinated, so unless villain happens to have a J, I'm ahead here. If I'm planning to c/f the flop to any overcard, which will happen ~70% of the time, then it feels like I should just limp preflop since most of the time I'll be building a bigger pot which I'll give away on the flop.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: NL10: TT heads-up

[ QUOTE ]
Any reads on MP1? I could see villain limping with hands like TJs which like that board.. I don't see him calling youd flop bet with much less than TP, unless he has 78 for the double gutshot. I doub't he'd like to play a gutshot and would he limp-call PF with hands like T8?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been playing a lot of hands preflop and has cold-called fairly often, so I'd say his range is wide here. He hadn't been showing down many hands so it was hard to say if he'd had a good run of cards or if he was just a loose player.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just to make sure I read that correctly, did you mean check/fold the flop, or check/fold the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I was very unclear. I meant that I'd bet flop, but if he calls I'd would not put more money in. I would have made a larger bet though. Your preflop raise was .5 and only betting .8 on a the flop always makes me think of weakness.. A potsized bet would also help to kill the implied odds for villain.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:25 PM

*GRUNCH*

First, reload to $10.
Flop is fine.
I'd double barrel the turn for ~$2 and fold to a raise to charge the draws. If he just calls I'd re-evaluate the river.

River card sucks. I think this is a c/f as played.

I think your flop bet/turn check looks like a standard c-bet/give up. There are too many Js that make up the standard 10NL limp/call range as well as 99 and 55. I can't think of anything that you beat besides a bluff. Turn and river look like villain is value betting to me.

Reads would be great too if you have them.

Edit: not sure if I would double barrel the turn. There are actually not a whole lot of draws that he could have limp/called with preflop. I think I would c/f or c/c depending on how much of a station he is and maybe throw out a blocker on a lot of river cards.