Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Sluss\'s AFC Rankings (Week 1)

As kind of a weak sister to Pokerfink's NFC rankings. But really the AFC is much better. Since I do not have a favorite team in the AFC I might even be able to do this objectively. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] This is based mainly on who will finish the year better.

1. New England Patriots: The Pats had the best offseason of any team in the NFL and they showed it in week one. Randy Moss looked like Randy Moss cira 1999. It looked like they knew what coverage the Jets were going to be in. But seriously this is the best team in the NFL right now. We still don't know just how bad Seymour is hurt or if Harrison will stay healthy but they are where they were to start the year the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

2.Indianapolis Colts- Somebody learned how to play defense. I'm not 100% sure if that is really the truth, some of it has to do with Bob Sanders being back. Of course like the Bears have learned keeping a big time undersized safety healthy is not an easy thing. Peyton and the boys will continue to play well. They will need to find a way to help out Tony Ugh-oh against teams like the Patriots, Chargers, Steelers and Ravens. This could be a blessing in disguse because they often decided to go without help and got Peyton hit alot.

3.San Diego Chargers: Maybe the most talent in the NFL. But you have to wonder about their coaching staff. Norv Turner's play calling was pretty pedestrian in week one. He was facing a very good defense and tried to keep Rivers from making a mistake. However, if he tries that against the Patriots this week they are going to get run over. While their pass rush and front seven is great I still sometimes question their secondary.

4.Denver Broncos: The Broncos are not big fans of week one. They always seem to struggle. Their special teams did not play well on Sunday, but the Bills special teams might be the best in the league. Travis Henry slipped into that offense like most running backs do. However, it is better to have that one back than it is to have the rotation last year which seemed to mess with some of the players. Jay Cutler is kind of scary. He has all the tools, but you wonder about his head. His mistakes almost cost them the game on Sunday, and this may be a roller coaster kind of year ahead for the Broncos offense. Fortunately you can't complete a pass against them. If Cutler can just not lose the....nah I'm not going to say it.

5. Cincinnati Bengals - The AFC North is going to be tough all year. The Bengals still have a banged up offensive line and they need to keep Carson Palmer upright if they want to make a run. The defense is opportunistic and they lead the NFL in takeaways the last three years. If they can get turnovers this year they are going to be a tough team to deal with.

6. Baltimore Ravens The defense is a combo old and young. They have built a good mix, but keeping Ray Lewis healthy has not been the easiest thing the past few years. They still will get tons of pressure and while neither McAllister or Rolle is no longer a shut down corner they both are savy and can make plays on pressured throws. Brian Billick returns to calling plays. It will be interesting to see if he keeps with his "look how smart I am" play calling that cost him the game Monday Night or if becomes smart enough to tone it down, run McGahee and do what he and McNair do best. Move the chains and eat up the clock.

7.Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers remain that "team nobody wants to face." This week they did have their sixth exhibition game against the Browns, which didn't show much. Just that they are still good on defense and can still run the ball. The thing that contiues to scare me is this new air it out look they keep giving on offense. Big Ben is a good QB when asked to keep control of the game. I'm not sure if he will revert to last year's Ben if he is put in too many positions to make too many decisions.

8.Jacksonville Jaguars-I'm not a big Garrard fan. I really think that the offense ran better with Leftwich. Garrard though did look pretty good throwing the ball against the Pac-manless Titans. The big fear for the Jags has to be their line play on both sides of the ball. They were completly unable to establish their running game and they were completly unable to stop the Titans running game. They were getting blown off of the line on defense. Alot of those guys are just getting into game shape, but they need to get their fast, because you can't blow too many games and still compete in the AFC. All that said if they have a kicker on Sunday they beat the Titans.

9.Tennesee Titans: Well it sounds horrible, but man do they find ways to win games. While so many teams in the NFL find ways to lose games it just always seems like the Titans are finding ways to stay in games and then pounce on other teams mistakes or problems. Their secondary looks pretty weak. Vince Young is inaccurate and doesn't have that strong of an arm, but their offense works. I really do give alot of credit to Norm Chow for putting in an offense Vince Young can handle and takes the best advantage of his skill set.

10.New York Jets: Chad Pennigton's injury is a big question mark right now. Of course the eagles fans were shaking their heads at Jets fans on Sunday. How do you boo a guy who has constantly won games for you when he is healthy? Jets fans are not that bad when they are losing, but man give them some hope and they can't stop whining. Their defense continues to be put together with smoke and mirrors and with their schedule if Pennington is out for any amount of time they could fall fast.

11.Buffalo Bills:The Bills are really a building a good team. Loseman is going to be good as will Lynch. The offensive line is young, but is improving. Lee Evans is good. The defense is getting better and better even with the losses they had in the off season. Add into all of that a great special teams unit and don't be suprised if they shock some teams this year. But, their schedule is a bear and will eat them up. I do expect a 7-9 kind of year and setting themselves up well for a playoff run next year.

12.Houston Texans-Another team on the rise. Schaub has looked good in the offense. I've always like Andre Johnson and the rookie Jones is going to be real good. The defense is getting better and better. Mario Willaims looked good in week one, I wonder if it will be consistent, that was always his rep in college, monster games than disappear for a few games. This could be a .500 team.

13.Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins defense still looks like they want to play. Can the offense hold up? Trent Green has really looked lost in both week 1 and the preseason. Cam Cameron (who has never been a good head coach) seems to be confused by his RB situation and their WRs are old. Will Ted Ginn be healthy?

14.Oakland Raiders: Hey they signed their first pick and they scored some points...well against the Lions and it's Week 2. Yeah, they still will be good on defense and that defense will be hung out to dry. At least it looks like LaMont Jordan could be a viable fantasy back again. Wow it's hard to say nice things about the Raiders.

15.Kansas City Chiefs: This is going to be a long year for the Chiefs. Probably not as long as it will feel for Larry Johnson. I'm not sure what Herm is doing. I'm not sure Herm is sure what he is doing. But right now they are a team with a poor defense, a lost offensive line, a QB with grey hair and their "QB of the future" on the bench. Dwayne Bowe was a solid pick and could be their best WR already.

16.Cleveland Browns:The Browns are showing some signs of life. They have talent on their offensive line. They are nowhere near figuring out how to use that talnet, but at least it's there. They trade Charlie Frye away opening the door for a Brady Quinn entrance soon (I susspect 2 weeks). How long will it be before Cleveland fans boo him off the field? They even have talent in spots on defense. The schedule and divison are brutal and they are really going to struggle to find wins.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Sluss\'s AFC Rankings

this is basically the exact same that I would rank the AFC
Old 09-11-2007, 05:32 PM

Switch Ravens and Steelers, not cause of record but because Steelers atleast have a decent offense. I know I'm being biased based on week 1 but I think Steelers offense over 16 weeks > Ravens over 16 weeks. Switch Bengals with Broncos, cause it looks like Bengals have a pretty good defense.

Also, I think everyone needs to stop kissing Randy Moss's feet (to put it nicely) so fast after week 1 only. He had just as good a performance with the Raiders in week 1. But he lost the will to play after in Oakland and it will be different in NE cause well NE is good and they'll win. And wins = Moss happy. But I still don't want everyone to suddenly jump on Moss already. Wait till week 4, and I'll give it to you.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think everyone needs to stop kissing Randy Moss's feet (to put it nicely) so fast after week 1 only. He had just as good a performance with the Raiders in week 1. But he lost the will to play after in Oakland and it will be different in NE cause well NE is good and they'll win. And wins = Moss happy. But I still don't want everyone to suddenly jump on Moss already. Wait till week 4, and I'll give it to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was also playing a soft Jets secondary. That said, he still lit up the score board, hard to argue with what he did. He did seem a little slower (again torching the Jets isn't that hard) but I can't think of too many teams easy to play him.

Cody
Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Sluss\'s AFC Rankings (Week 1)

I'd put Pittsburgh at #4, but I liked them a lot prior to week 1.

As dumb as it may sound I'd find it hard to put Cincy over B'more after last night. +4 turnovers at home the game should not be close.

Miami I'd probably move up to like #9. They've been the same team for a while now: solid D, halfway decent skill players & a bad OL. I have no idea why everyone thought they'd be a contender last year...I am equally "idea-less" as to why people think they're going to be so horrible this year.

The Bills defense sucks.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He was also playing a soft Jets secondary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rhodes is a strong player, Coleman is a strong player, and the rookie Revis looked good. I don't think that secondary is really soft.

(course, give Brady 8 seconds to throw, and lots of secondaries will look soft)
Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 PM

I also like Pittsburgh a lot.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Sluss\'s AFC Rankings (Week 1)

Rivers threw that pick early that lead to the only points the Bears got, so Turner did the smart thing, and saw that the Bears couldn't move the ball, were mistake prone, and would wear out. That's what happened. Rivers still threw the ball a lot, but damn Chicago was in the backfield fast, so he's not gonna get the guy killed. A fumble at the 1 foot line, a blocked chip shot, and they took a knee at the 6 to end the game after pounding on them for the final 3 mins to run out the clock, they still won by 11 going away.

That said, until they prove themselves, I agree, #3, just not Turner play calling being bad, you play to win the game, he'll open it up vs. Pats like crazy.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(course, give Brady 8 seconds to throw, and every secondary will look soft)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 PM

Moss should be money as long as he is healthy which is the key..esp come cold weather time.

I see Moss missing at the min. two games due to leg problems.