Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Does poker consume your life?

I guess poker sometimes consume my life. Link
Old 11-08-2006, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
19 year old with a quarter million clicking a mouse?

my heart BLEEDS FOR YOU

[/ QUOTE ]

Money only seems the key to hapiness when you don't have it.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I’ve done nothing for the community and yet can’t seem to stop letting poker control my life. Does anyone out there have any advice or experienced similar experiences....

How do you guys deal with them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why not do something to help your community? When i first began making more money than i expected, i sent some to family and found things that were meaningfull to me to put the $$ towards.

Lets say you decide something like, 10% of whatever you make you will put towards a cause. Whether it be in your community or a global problem (donating to world vision, or another starving children org.) You'd probably feel better about time spent clicking a mouse, because there would be alot more meaning behind it.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:15 AM

Same story for me. It kinda sucks seeing guys getting D's and C's the first year now doing better in school than me because I don't give a [censored] about school anymore. I know that school is important, and I tell myself that, but when it gets down to it I find it so boring these days and everything I do in school is half-ass and with no ambition.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:17 AM

I think you need to relax things arent as bad as they seem... lol. You are only 19 you have a long life ahead of you. Each year in your 20's you mature so much that you will gain so much perspective on how lucky you are to be in the position you are in. Having never played high stakes I can only imagine how addictive it can become but just because it is there doesnt mean you have to play. You can do what ever you want and the amazing benefit of poker is that money allows you do whatever you want. I suggest read degens thread on Thailand in OOT take 10k and a bunch of buddies and go for 2mths. Then come back and see what you think of poker. Trust me you will laugh your ass off that you wrote this.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:21 AM

idonkedyoo,

donate all your winnings to charity. then you'll value money/life again.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:24 AM

Invest the money so that you have financial stability for life. Then get some interesting & balanced hobbies.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

my heart BLEEDS FOR YOU

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't saying he should be happy, I'm saying he's bitching about having money and playing poker.

Join GA OR TAKE A VACATION

DRAMA QUEEN [censored]
Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

my heart BLEEDS FOR YOU

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

great point good2cu. i have a lot of friends who are doing this for a living, and their lives end up being controlled by putting in hours. i envy those of you who have made a ton, but at the same time its hard to always know there are people who are making much more than yoou because you want to get to that point and it often consumes you to do so.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:38 AM

good god. go get a life, seriously. give your laptop to student services for a week and go party hard. play sport every day, meet up with friends for some drinks, have a sodding awesome time. your a rich 19 year old. for me that = having an awesome time, meeting up with your mates and just going wild.

not sitting in a room being an unwashed nerd.

seriously, decide who your friends are, and make an effort to meet up with them regular over the next week. put aside $x to invest, $y as your bankroll when you play again, and $z for the coming week to go and blow. you cannot finish the week without spending all of the $z. if that means eating at the best restuarant while drinking the most expensive wine, then so be it.

And also give some money to charity. $45 can cure a guy of cataracts. i.e. $45 can give someone their vision back. Now i'm not going to go down the holy-than-thou route, ive blown so much money on enjoying myself i cant. but if you having difficulty with this money, then go make peoples lives infinitely better.