Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 07-28-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Sklansky concedes religious debate o rly?

I don't know if this has been addressed anywhere in other forums, but I was wondering if Rev. Sklansky has adressed the import of Mr. Yang's clearly sincere religious beliefs and how it is possible that someone of this type could ever win the wsop main event, especially when pitted against the "obviously smarter" non religious types.

Rev Sklansky has made light of those with sincere religious beliefs and has made assertions that such beliefs are somehow negatively correlated with one's ability to thnk critically, to perform well in math tests, and at least by implication, with one's ability to play poker.
I believe Mr. Sklansky should comment on how this result impacts his assessment of those who maintain devout religious beliefs. Is this to be treated as a statistical aberration (how convenient)...Are we to question Mr. Yangs sincerity? Maybe, just maybe, there are benefits to deidcating oneself to believing in something not of this earth and maybe just MAYBE , being open minded instead of judgmental and closed minded may have some benefit as well.

sheets

Professor Erik Haber
Center for Religious Stidies
Linköpings universitet
581 83 LINKÖPING
Tel: +46 13-28 10 00
Fax: +46 13-14 94 03
Old 07-28-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Sklansky concedes religious debate o rly?

lol donkaments
Old 07-28-2007, 01:44 AM

Clearly Mr. Yang has demonstrated that religious people are great poker players. Also his win definitely shows he is the best poker player of 2007 since he beat everyone else.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly Mr. Yang has demonstrated that religious people are great poker players. Also his win definitely shows he is the best poker player of 2007 since he beat everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol donkaments

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the correct answer.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if this has been addressed anywhere in other forums, but I was wondering if Rev. Sklansky has adressed the import of Mr. Yang's clearly sincere religious beliefs and how it is possible that someone of this type could ever win the wsop main event, especially when pitted against the "obviously smarter" non religious types.

Rev Sklansky has made light of those with sincere religious beliefs and has made assertions that such beliefs are somehow negatively correlated with one's ability to thnk critically, to perform well in math tests, and at least by implication, with one's ability to play poker.
I believe Mr. Sklansky should comment on how this result impacts his assessment of those who maintain devout religious beliefs. Is this to be treated as a statistical aberration (how convenient)...Are we to question Mr. Yangs sincerity? Maybe, just maybe, there are benefits to deidcating oneself to believing in something not of this earth and maybe just MAYBE , being open minded instead of judgmental and closed minded may have some benefit as well.

sheets

Professor Erik Haber
Center for Religious Stidies
Linköpings universitet
581 83 LINKÖPING
Tel: +46 13-28 10 00
Fax: +46 13-14 94 03

[/ QUOTE ]

you are kidding right?

maybe if we all become accountants like moneymaker we can win the main event too!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:46 AM

Variance.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:50 AM

I have a little toy penguin on my desk.
It is cute, and wears a scarf.
If you twist its handle, it will do backflips.
Pretty ballin.

My penguin is fifteen times smarter than sheetsworld. Also, sheetsworld's IQ is roughly that of mayonaisse.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a little toy penguin on my desk.
It is cute, and wears a scarf.
If you twist its handle, it will do backflips.
Pretty ballin.

My penguin is fifteen times smarter than sheetsworld. Also, sheetsworld's IQ is roughly that of mayonaisse.

[/ QUOTE ]

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GGS5TiP5jSQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GGS5TiP5jSQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 07-28-2007, 10:15 AM

It's not really fit for a professor to conclude anything on such a small sample size. The average religious/superstitious poker player has irrational beliefs about chance and math, and therefore will achieve less in long term poker.

In short term it's surely possible to win anything, these last 2 WSOP's have clearly proven that. I don't see why Sklansky would have to concede anything on this matter.