Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Laptop Spontaneously Shuts Down

People are constantly asking me to fix their computers. So someone has given me a new project. I am at a crossroads with this one so I am now seeking 2+2 comp/tech advice.

Problem: The laptop spontaneously will lose power and turn off.

I had the girl backup all her data before I did anything. She then gave it back. My first inquiry was to diagnose whether the problem was software or hardware based. I reformatted the hard drive to provide a clean install, thinking perhaps she picked up a virus or something. As I was installing the AV the laptop then spontaneously shut off. This has occurred a few times now. The problem has not been fixed, but now I know it is most likely hardware related.

When this sort of thing happens to a desktop PC, I just replace the power supply. But, this is a laptop and I think I am out of my element with this one. So advice please: can I fix this? Open up the laptop & replace the power supply? Or do I tell the girl to send it back for factory repair?

By the way it's an Inspiron 2200 from Dell running Windows XP.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Laptop Spontaneously Shuts Down

I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with the power supply, especially if it doesn't start back up right away. If it happens with and without the battery in/on power then it will probably need to be sent back the factory to be fixed, from my experience laptops are highly engineered and you probably won't be able to easily get inside of it, let along figure out exactly where the problem is.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Is it overheating? They will switch themselves off if they get too hot. Is the fan broke/not working well? Have a listen, touch the understand of the machine.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:46 PM

She took the laptop back, but I will try to check the fan later. From what I remember, it seemed to be okay, but I can't remember for sure.

What I do know is that if the laptop was picked up or moved while running it would shut down, suggesting perhaps a mechanical problem. Also, as I tried to install the AV, using a CD, the CD started spinning and then the laptop promptly shut down.

So maybe it is an overheating problem, a problem with the power supply, or maybe a problem with the hard drive motor. Either way it seems like sending to the factory is best.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:12 PM

I guessed hardware from the title. It doesn't have to be the ps at all; it could be all sorts of hardware issues. On a laptop, especially if it's still under warranty, I definitely would send it off.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 PM

I'm guessing motherboard...curious as to what they say the problem is
Old 10-09-2007, 05:11 PM

She told me that she is going to send it back to Dell and hopefully they can fix it for much less than the cost to buy a new one. Otherwise, it'll be decision time for her in terms of whether she wants to buy something new.

I have no idea what dell charges for these types of repairs... I will post later when she knows what the problem truly is. Thanks guys.