Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 07:48 PM

Default STUD HI - dealt trip 5s but opponent makes open kings on 4th

Had just sat down and was delighted to see rolled 5s in the second or third hand I was dealt - then after raising 3rd seat 1 pairs his king [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] - would you get out early or play on? I didnt know this player to have any read.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (7.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (11.50 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (13.50 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $135 Main pot $132 Rake $3

Seat 1: [Kd Kc Ks Ah As Ts 4s] (A Full House, Kings full of Aces)

Hero: [5h 5c 5d 3c 3d 9c 3s] (A Full House, Fives full of Threes)

</font>
Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: STUD HI - dealt trip 5s but opponent makes open kings on 4th

I think, even if you had a read, that it's going to be difficult to know whether the king gave him trips or not, because he's probably going to play it the same way especially on the earlier streets.

On 5th, when he bets his open K's and you pop him with a 533 board...you are telling him that you can (at the very least) beat K's up, but it's probably more like trip 3's or even a full house. So, when you now hit three open 3's and he raises you, he HAS to put you on at least a full house, so you should be able to get away from this hand and fold on 6th. And the only other hand that I could give him that you'd have beat, is some sort of straight, but he'd have to be a donkey to make that play.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:55 AM

I'm new to Stud, is it standard to slowplay this on 3rd street? When do you generally want to slowplay 3rd street?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:31 AM

I fastplay small trips!
If the game is tight, I sometimes slowplay.
According to 7CSFAP, slowplaying is usually a mistake.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:51 AM

I'm new to Stud, is it standard to slowplay this on 3rd street? When do you generally want to slowplay 3rd street?

In this instance slowplaying seemed correct to me. This limit is fairly tight usually with maybe 3 people seeing 4th on a full table on most occasions. Here it was 6 players with three to act after me and 1 folded. The remaining doorcards apart from the king were small or duplicated - so slowplaying seemed ok. But as the previous poster said fast playing small trips is normal in other situations were its not tight - people then tend to put you on a big hidden pair.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:47 PM

Yeh, I think folding 6th is a good play. From the cards and actions of both players, he almost has to have a boat. Unless you think he is aggro enough to bluff here or bad enough to raise into an obvious boat with less, the fold is correct.

The slow play is OK, but if you open raise 3rd, you usually don't steal the blinds. If so, you should steal with a 5 more often. It probably looks like split 5s with a good kicker or a concelaed pair, and will make your later play look more consistant.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:38 PM

Unless the game is tight, I usually play rolled hands fast.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:25 AM

Against a tight, straightforward player, you can fold this on fourth. The pot's small, and you're very likely to be up against trips in that case. Such a player might only raise with a big pair, and he's going to have split Kings much, much more frequently than a big pocket pair.

If the other guy might have raised third with big three-flush, you're in much better shape against is range and should probably stay with him. If he's loose and wild, you should probably stick in a raise somewhere. Against an unknown, I'm inclined to call down.

When the other guy raises sixth, he's saying that he has Treys-full beaten. It's possible that he doesn't realize that that's what he's saying, of course. To be sure, I've seen people raise with trip Kings (or less!) in situations like this, but I suspect that calling down is -EV, even taking your two-outer into consideration.

Edited to change third street to fourth street. Yeesh.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:02 AM

I assume you mean fold on 4th.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:53 AM

Yes. I have used my moderatorial powers to rectify this. Thanks.