View Poll Results: What would you do with AA here
All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

The only edible mexican food in Bangkok is a place called Charley Browns. Its on the same soi as Bed Supperclub but around the corner in a small soi.

My favorite restaurants were Shabushi (sushi buffet around the corner from Hyatt Erawan) Mk, Fuji, Lumba Lumba (all you can eat dim sum on Lang Suan near Starbucks) Outback Steakhouse (3rd floor Siam Discovery Center) Cheap seafood BBQ places (we always went to this one in Pin Klao but most are the same)

In Koh Samui there were about 10 thai places that I survived on for a year. Depending on what you are looking for there is a great thai place making it. (Khao Ka moo, Rad naaa, Khao mhen gai, Jok for breakfast, etc) For mexican in samui check out Gringos cantina.

The cafeteria in Central Chit Lom has excellent food for about 50 baht a plate.

Also, I recommend hitting up the 4/5 star hotels around the country for dinner. They have the best food and its usually not that expensive.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

climate info here: http://www.amazing-thailand.com/Climate.html (first google result of "thailand climate")

by "too hot" I think they mean by american standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they mean sane person standards. It's [censored] hot. I've even been drinking water instead of beer.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:10 AM

I doubt bkk is much hotter than Phuket. It's not that hot--you get used to it pretty quickly. I wear pants every day and often long sleeves as well. If you were walking around all day with a backpack or something you would be miserable, but you're mostly just moving from air-conditioned environment to air-conditioned environment.

There's maybe a 1 in a million chance you could be playing poker in an internet cafe and a cop could walk by and try to extort some money from you. My plan in this situation is just to point out the thousands and thousands of baht in play at the tables. It couldn't possibly be real money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd be more concerned about key loggers and [censored]. Obviously playing from your room is way better than sitting in an uncomfortable chair with a bunch of randoms. Sometimes hotel wifi can be slow to the point of unplayability though.

edit: yeah, it's not that hot by Australian standards but obviously it will seem hotter since it's winter in Australia now.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 AM

Random tip: If you're American, tell people you're from New York. Most foreigners think NYC is the most magical amazing place on earth and their eyes will light up when tell them it's where you're from. I never know how to answer this question anyway and usually give some awkward answer like "Well, I grew up in Rhode Island but then I lived in Pittsburgh for five years and now I'm just kind of traveling."
Old 06-11-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There's maybe a 1 in a million chance you could be playing poker in an internet cafe and a cop could walk by and try to extort some money from you. My plan in this situation is just to point out the thousands and thousands of baht in play at the tables. It couldn't possibly be real money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd be more concerned about key loggers and [censored]. Obviously playing from your room is way better than sitting in an uncomfortable chair with a bunch of randoms. Sometimes hotel wifi can be slow to the point of unplayability though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you just download partypoker on the cafe's comp and login? Also, do you know the best way/place to get a fast and stable connection in thailand as far as apartments or houses?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you just download partypoker on the cafe's comp and login? Also, do you know the best way/place to get a fast and stable connection in thailand as far as apartments or houses?

[/ QUOTE ]
I imagine that's what you would do. If you did this I woul change my password every day at a different place. My only internet cafe experience that involved poker was in Laos and I had a laptop. I've written about internet in Phuket, I'm not sure about Bangkok, where I assume you'll be going.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I imagine that's what you would do. If you did this I woul change my password every day at a different place. My only internet cafe experience that involved poker was in Laos and I had a laptop. I've written about internet in Phuket, I'm not sure about Bangkok, where I assume you'll be going.

[/ QUOTE ]

most good hotels in bangkok have a good internet connection.
hell i pay 7000 bahts a month for my apartment in an hotel and i have a 4mb connection for 20bucks a month, and the whole building is wifi.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 PM

Yesterday I learned that Bangkok has two airports! How industrious of them.

Hyachahachacha
Old 06-12-2007, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hyachahachacha

[/ QUOTE ]

Only one is in use actually ( for flights with passengers anyway )
Old 06-12-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hyachahachacha

[/ QUOTE ]

Only one is in use actually ( for flights with passengers anyway )

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually both are, because Suvarnabhum (new airport) has had so many problems. One runway has cracked, and the airport could'nt handle all the traffic anymore. Now some domestic flights are moved to Don Muang (old one).

All international flights fly from Suvarnabhum though.
Closed Thread