Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: 10/20 LO8 Explain

[ QUOTE ]
From your comments you seem to believe 3betting preflop a fair amount is good

[/ QUOTE ]Cwar - He is saying the very opposite.
[ QUOTE ]
rarely 3-betting pre
is not
"playing well"
in most cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buzz
Old 08-03-2007, 03:33 PM

Oh so never 3betting preflop is what cero is getting at?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh so never 3betting preflop is what cero is getting at

[/ QUOTE ]Cwar - He didn't write "never."

Buzz
Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh so never 3betting preflop is what cero is getting at

[/ QUOTE ]Cwar - He didn't write "never."

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]
Well if 3betting fairly often is bad, and rarely doing it is bad, then never doing it is all I can come up with, lol, very confused.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:14 PM

Cwar - I see what you mean.

Try reading it this way:[ QUOTE ]
If his 3-bet means A2xx, A-wheel-wheel-x, or AAxx, as it does for most who rarely 3-bet pre, then.... (his).... 3-bet signals a monster

[/ QUOTE ]I think Cero is saying that if Villain rarely 3-bets, then when he does, he probably is tipping you off that he has a very big hand.

And that seems like very good advice from Cero on how to read this opponent.

(Someone tipping you off as to the strength of his hand, at least to me, doesn't seem to be playing very well).

Buzz
Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cwar - I see what you mean.

Try reading it this way:[ QUOTE ]
If his 3-bet means A2xx, A-wheel-wheel-x, or AAxx, as it does for most who rarely 3-bet pre, then.... (his).... 3-bet signals a monster

[/ QUOTE ]I think Cero is saying that if Villain rarely 3-bets, then when he does, he probably is tipping you off that he has a very big hand.

And that seems like very good advice from Cero on how to read this opponent.

(Someone tipping you off as to the strength of his hand, at least to me, doesn't seem to be playing very well).

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea I get what your saying, I was trying to find out what is an ideal range for me to be 3betting against someone I consider skilled postflop (not too foldy or stationy) a mixed range of hands like A2xx AAxx and strong two way hands or just never 3betting at all?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:44 PM

I've only skimmed the other responses, i'll add 2 cents fwiw. You have a weak high with little redraw potential facing a scary board that likely helps his high range. you have no low. against most, fold here. against some, you can call and see the turn given the pot size if you have any reason to question that read and you can gain ground on the turn. (I know that sounds vague. basically i usually fold the flop)
Old 08-05-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh so never 3betting preflop is what cero is getting at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not. You understood me correctly the first time. I have also read that doing lots of reraising pre adds mainly to your variance and not much to the bottom line, but I have not seen that proven. My own analysis indicates that there's often as much EV to be gained pre-flop as there is on the flop. What Buzz said about not pigeon-holing your hand by reraising is certainly true, but the nature of a 4-card game means that hand reading is still difficult, even when a player's range for a given action MUST contain 1 of only a few combinations.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 PM

"Mixes up his play"---"Reads hands well". Why are we playing this guy HU? Perhaps you're honing your own HU skills, and that's cool, but otherwise, trying to compete against someone in HU play who is very capable, is going to be very tough to read/beat. For that reason alone, hands like this will just leave you in the dark so much more.

generally speaking, this is a bad flop for you, but you may actually be way ahead. Were you raising alot and then folding a lot of flops? Perhaps he's caught onto it; I'm just trying to see it from his perspective.

I guess if you wanted to peel one off to see if the turn brought another non-pairing baby(that's about the only card I'd continue with at this point) otherwise I think you need to raise or fold. Raising is a risk, folding is safe, folding becomes deadly in HU play if you are doing it everytime he reraises you.

Personally, I would find another table to play at. But then again, my HU play has alot to be desired, so if you're used to HU, then please take my advice with a grain of salt.