Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Making a stand.......

For the past year i have been playing Live poker as my main source of income and have done pretty good on paper. I say on paper because my logs show me winning about 80k and i have nothing to show for it. I really am alergic to money, going on vacations, blackjack,betting sports... I just blow it all. I always justified it as im young and just having fun, but ill be turning 23 in a few months and wanna get my [censored] together. I play mostly in underground clubs in north jersey/manhattan and borgata. I only really play 2/5 nl and 10/20 and 20/40 limit. Ive seen many people on here post that u cant make a living playing 2/5 nl(most the clubs in jersey are 5/5 with a 500 cap) so starting monday im gonna make a thread reporting my hourly rates , daily and weekly results to prove that it is very possible and very profitable. Im also doing this for my own discipline. NE one else on here male a living playing "low" middle limits and 2/5nl?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Making a stand.......

You will have to keep this up for a loooooooooong time to show anything at all. Anybody can run well for several hundred hours of live poker.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:11 PM

well like i said its mostly to keep myself motivated to keep my wins and run my bankroll up, but over the last year i did very well. Also i saw many posts saying its not possible to play 2/5 for a living, which i feel is very untrue. if uve been playing 1/2 nl(live)for a spam of lets say 8-12 months and have been winning and ran ur bankroll to 10-15k, i think its very possivle to move up to 2/5 n give it a shot for a living. Although i found for me the poker aspect of playing for a living came the easiest. All this being said im gonna start a thread/blog showing all the downfalls, upswings, and aspects of playing fora living people might not concider when thinking about taking the plunge
Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 PM

I didn't mean to discourage you; I just meant that you'll need a ton of hours to come anywhere near the long run in terms of winrate.

The other reasons for such a topic (self-discipline, motivation, giving others insight into the process, etc.) are all good ones and will be useful for some people whether you keep it updated for a long time period or not.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:15 PM

in the past year, i found myself going on "binges" where ill play like 15 days in a row from 9pm to like 6am and just play sleep and eat, and thats NO!!! way to live. Then id not play for a week and just go out and party, it was really a mess, but i was making money so saw nothing wrong with it. Playing for a living take TONS of self discipline which most people dont have, i feel this could help alot of people, and guide them in the right direction when going "pro"
Old 09-22-2007, 07:49 PM

consider taking a spelling class with all your poker winnings
Old 09-22-2007, 05:06 PM

machmood...like the borg 2/5 but high variance...love to see the reports and houtlys...
Old 09-22-2007, 05:12 PM

1) Kill out the BJ and sports betting. -EV. This will kill any chances of you making a living, regardless of what limits you're playing.

2) You can make a living off the money you can average in these games, the proof is right in front of you. Would it be fair to say that you've made a good deal before what you've blown?

3) Kind of idiotic to state that several hundred hours of live poker is obsolete, and that you will require "keeping it up for a loooooong time" after having already done it for a year. The 2p2 mantra that it requires 800 billion hands to determine whether you have a dime's worth of poker skill is silly.

4) Out of curiosity, and you'll probably have to answer in PM due to the free speech Nazi-ism in this forum, but where in North NJ? We've probably played together, or I've dealt the game you were in, I used to work at and play frequently in 3-4 places in that area. If any of them are the places I'm familiar with, a high winrate is easily sustainable.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive seen many people on here post that u cant make a living playing 2/5 nl(most the clubs in jersey are 5/5 with a 500 cap) so starting monday im gonna make a thread reporting my hourly rates

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhhh...I make double the US median household income playing Thurs-Sat and would like to keep doing so..let them not believe you, who cares.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:26 PM

People here are simply obsessed with the belief that playing online with rakeback and seven tables simultaneously is the only way to make money in poker. Not true at all. While the swings are admittedly brutal, and the hands per hour horrendous, you can do quite well playing a juicy club 2/5 NL game live, and even some 1/2 NL mixed in. Assuming you do also play Limit and hit AC some of the time, I'm sure you can clean up if you're a solid, disciplined player.