Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 03:13 AM

Default NIGHTMARE pokerstars client lockup

Sorry if this is well plowed ground... I couldn't find anything about it in the faq.

I was on pokerstars tonight, a while after it came back up following the outage, on a $1/$2 NL ring game. I rivered the mortal nuts, the pot was $70 or so, and another player raised allin like $190. I've been playing pokerstars very frequently for a year or so, usually in cheap tourneys or smaller ring games... anyway, I think that was the largest hand I had ever been in. Close to it anyway. For the first time ever, my client locked up, I couldn't call (or do anything). I could see the action, could see the interface award him the win for his trips (I had a FH) after it folded me for not responding.

PS doesn't have an 800 number, so I sent them an email. No response yet.

My question is, am I just screwed here? I am not one of the guys that blames the interface for his bad play, or long bad runs of luck. But I don't buy that after a year or so of nearly daily play, this happens at the exact instant I have the mortal nuts and am trying to call the biggest cash bet I've ever wanted to call.

On the other hand, it happened a little after 2AM EDT, so that is not long after PS came up following their big crash tonight. So maybe I should have just skipped the ring game.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I'm just gutted. I play long and hard to get an opportunity like that, and it just sucks.

Advice, knowledge? This would be a real good time for the smartasses to take the night off...
Old 08-29-2007, 03:41 AM

Default Re: NIGHTMARE pokerstars client lockup

Sucks bro. I doubt you'll have any recourse.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:47 AM

I often have lock ups at pokerstars aswell (the network test shows conn to pokerstars is working well but the client just hangs).
Old 08-29-2007, 03:59 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

The occasional lockup wouldn't bug me that much, and I know that s*** happens, but the timing of this has me freaked out.

Also, right when it happened, the guy who won the hand chatted something that made me wonder if he was seeing strange symptoms too. I can't remember exactly what he said.

Oh well, a $270 or so swing, not the end of the world, but it's the loss of faith that has me most rattled. I really liked PS.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 AM

That just sucks so bad your client froze on one of your biggest +EV pots.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:33 AM

when you have a good hand in a big pot, your heart rate increases, your pupils dilate and your fingertips and palms become sweaty. This time the sweat dripped onto your mouse, along the mouse cable, and onto your motherboard causing a short circuit and briefly causing PokerStars to freeze.

Millions of years of evolution are all very well, but they didn't prepare humans for this. In future, I suggest gloves.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Millions of years of evolution are all very well, but they didn't prepare humans for this. In future, I suggest gloves.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, thanks for the laugh... I needed it.

In the meantime, PS has replied to me, and though they haven't said anything committal, they do sound appropriately customer servicey, and claim to be escalating the matter to the cognoscenti.

They asked me to give them 48 hours. I can live with that, especially given my alternatives (uh, none).
Old 08-29-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I don't buy that after a year or so of nearly daily play, this happens at the exact instant I have the mortal nuts and am trying to call the biggest cash bet I've ever wanted to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid you're going to have to. It sucks, but unfortunately stuff like this happens....and it really sticks out when it happens at inopportune times.

BTW, welcome to the forums.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:15 PM

Man, it even gets stranger. PS Support got back with me, and told me the winner had quad 4's, so actually HE lost money on my lockup, not me (I had a fh, Kings full of 4's).

So, apparently, a user interface lockup on the river with a large pot SAVED me about $180, instead of costing me that much. Obviously that makes me, uh, happier, but I still have a newly found nagging loss of faith in the whole infrastructure.

That adds an uncomfortable background to the whole idea of playing large stake NL ring games online.

Guess I will just suck it up and hope for the best.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:49 PM

I thought you said the winner showed/had trips? How can he suddenly have quads?