Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Default MMA and Boxing Fights of the Year

There's only a couple FOTY candidates left in either sport, so let's hear what you guys have as your top fights of 2007. While I put them in the same thread, please keep boxing and MMA separate and refrain from the tired boxing vs. MMA debate.

I didn't watch much boxing this year outside of Mayweather/De La Hoya, Calzaghe/Kessler, the Contender finale, and Cotto/Mosley. Obviously, all of those fights have been touted as FOTY caliber.

I have watched a lot of MMA this year, so I'll go through a list of my favorites with a brief description:

Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz from Pride 33 - Gomi comes into this fight as the consensus #1 lightweight in the world. Diaz had recently been let go by the UFC after finishing out his contract with 2 straight wins. Gomi absolutely rocks Diaz early and busts up his face (Diaz ended up with a broken orbital bone). Diaz is game though, and comes back after Gomi burns through his gas tank. Diaz ends the fight with only the second successful gogoplata in MMA history.

Quinton Jackson vs. Dan Henderson at UFC 75 for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title - Henderson is the only man to simultaneously hold two belts in different weight classes, while Rampage Jackson looks to continue his winning streak after rearranging his life and joining the camp of Juanito Ibarra. As many predicted, this one goes 5 rounds with tons of good action throughout. A good example of the diversity in MMA with solid action on the ground, on the feet, and in the clinch.

Roger Huerta vs. Leonard Garcia at UFC 69 - Huerta became a de facto UFC posterboy when he was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. That cover comes from this fight. Three rounds at the usual 5th gear lightweight tempo.

Tyson Griffin vs. Frankie Edgar
Tyson Griffin vs. Clay Guida - Two fights that are absolute wars that help re-solidify the UFC lightweight division.

Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin at UFC 77 - Don't let the results fool you, Rich Franklin is a very solid fighter. Anderson Silva is just that good right now. Not a very competitive fight, but this is a good example of what elite-level striking looks like. Franklin shows how game he is when he comes out for round 2.

I'm missing some stuff, but I think that's a good start.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: MMA and Boxing Fights of the Year

You're missing Pavlik-Taylor.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're missing Pavlik-Taylor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did say I didn't watch much boxing, but I did see this and forgot about it. Weird considering I think this is > the fights I listed.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 PM

Crocop vs G. Gonzaga. Not a very close fight, but I'll nominate it just for the huge upset and surprising ending.

I disagree about Henderson vs Jackson. I was in the crowd that night and I thought it was pretty boring with mostly half-guard/clinch neutralization.

Diaz vs Gomi was terrific but you gotta admit that Gomi running out of gas so soon in the fight was weird. Also the fight was turned into a no contest, which sucked.

Another fight I love to watch again is the Gray Maynard fight from the TUF Finale this year. I was also in the crowd. Man, what a slam, and what a crazy ending!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:54 PM

If I were going to pick a fight for upset value, it would be Serra/GSP. That's the only fight that still looks weird in hindsight.

I don't think Gomi running out of gas was that weird. It's pretty clear he took the fight lightly and probably had some jet lag.

Clinch and ground work =/= boring to me, especially when both fighters are active during both. This wasn't like Sylvia/Vera where Tim just leaned on Vera for over a third of the fight. It wasn't a crazy slugfest, but if you were hoping for that going in, you're nuts. I thought this fight was a very high level showing from two elite mixed martial artists.

Mods,

What's wrong with my links? They were fine when I previewed and I thought they were OK when I posted...why are they not formatted correctly now?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clinch and ground work =/= boring to me, especially when both fighters are active during both. This wasn't like Sylvia/Vera where Tim just leaned on Vera for over a third of the fight. It wasn't a crazy slugfest, but if you were hoping for that going in, you're nuts. I thought this fight was a very high level showing from two elite mixed martial artists.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love to see expert groundwork, but this fight is a bad example. Both Rampage and Dan are excellent wrestlers but they're not amazing when put on their backs. Look at their record, they've rarely finished a fight in that position or pulled off a submission from side control or half-guard. They're good at maintaining position, ground and pound, and defending ground and pound. That doesn't make a great fight! There are many more fights with BJJ experts that were far more exciting technically speaking (anything with KenFlo, Huerta, Filho.).

I have to agree that Serra vs GSP was the biggest upset of the year, but the fight itself wasn't great. Gonzaga really mauled Crocop before finishing him with that high kick from outer space. Not very artsy, right, but damn spectacular.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love to see expert groundwork, but this fight is a bad example. Both Rampage and Dan are excellent wrestlers but they're not amazing when put on their backs. Look at their record, they've rarely finished a fight in that position or pulled off a submission from side control or half-guard. They're good at maintaining position, ground and pound, and defending ground and pound. That doesn't make a great fight! There are many more fights with BJJ experts that were far more exciting technically speaking (anything with KenFlo, Huerta, Filho.).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all a matter of opinion. though. Just because you find more BJJ-oriented ground work more exciting than wrestling/GNP, doesn't mean everyone does.

I enjoy watching elite mixed martial artists go at it. Henderson/Jackson is in the top 5 fights of the year in terms of the level and ability of the two fighters. While the fight may not have been as aesthetically pleasing as a more BJJ-oriented fight, they both stayed active on the top and bottom, attempting subs, sweeps, and improving position. The added historical importance of unifying the UFC Light Heavyweight and Pride Middleweight titles pushes a solid fight into a FOTY candidate for me.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are many more fights with BJJ experts that were far more exciting technically speaking (anything with KenFlo, Huerta, Filho.)

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of being a snob, if you would call Huerta a BJJ expert, then you probably don't know what you're talking about. Only two of his 19 victories have been by sub, and it's pretty clear from watching his fights that he's nowhere near a BJJ expert, even though he is an exciting fighter and competent on the ground. From a pure BJJ perspective, he got owned by Alberto Crane and gave up mount and his back several times. If Crane hadn't been in such bad shape and had fought an MMA fight in the last two years, he would have almost definitely subbed Huerta easily. Put Huerta against BJ Penn or even Joe Stevenson and see how much of "BJJ expert" he looks like.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of being a snob, if you would call Huerta a BJJ expert, then you probably don't know what you're talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right about Huerta, I've always found him very impressive on the ground but that's probably because he's so athletic and good at defending submissions. BJ Penn and Stevenson are definitely better examples of exciting BJJ experts.

[ QUOTE ]
Put Huerta against BJ Penn or even Joe Stevenson and see how much of "BJJ expert" he looks like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if Huerta wins his next fight he's going to get very close to a title shot against the winner of Penn/Stevenson. I think he's got a really good shot.

[ QUOTE ]
That's all a matter of opinion. though. Just because you find more BJJ-oriented ground work more exciting than wrestling/GNP, doesn't mean everyone does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, um, of course it's all subjective... Personnally I like fights that are very spectacular on the ground with a lot of position changes, sweeps, submission attempts etc. One guy holding the other down and occasionally striking doesn't do it for me. I also like it when fights don't go the distance.

Oh btw, once we get enough candidates we should have a vote in this thread for MMA fight of the year.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 AM

Marquez-Vasquez fights have been the best this yr imo, altho the contender finale was probably the most fun/exciting.

Pavlik/Taylor and Cal/Kessler was also both excellent.