Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Spanish Speakers: Recommend me some good Spanish-language books

I read Borges en inglés, but he is great.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 PM

Perez Galdós - Trafalgar

Fernando de Rojas - La celestina (Tragicomedia de Calisto y Melibea)
Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 PM

All my suggestions are Spanish authors poets and playwrights. I'm not sure if by book you are only asking for novels or if collections of plays or poems for example would be ok.

If you're ok with older stuff you should definitely read a Lope play. He wrote like a billion and they all have the same storyline. Fuenteovejuna is the standard I think. This will be pretty short.

On a similar note, if you're going to read Cervantes you should read Entremeses which is a collection of short plays.

On a similar note, if you're into history and the Reconquista you should read Cantar de Mio Cid, which is about El Cid, a legend of the reconquista. It's a long story told in verse.

Note: The above suggestions are all in the old style of Spanish which is full of words that aren't used now and loads of "vuestra merced."

A somewhat more recent play that is good is Ay Carmela, which takes place during the civil war. I'm not sure when it was originally written, it may have been back then.

Another excellent play is La Mirada del Hombre Oscuro by Ignacio del Moral. It's from sometime in the 90s and touches on the important immigration issue in Spain.

For poetry I am quite partial to the Machado brothers. Though I prefer the politics of Antonio I like Manuel's poetry better. All of the Generacion del 98 guys are fantastic and I would highly recommend a collection of poems from this group.

I'll try to think of more. As you can probably tell I got my reading list is from courses so I'm not familiar with contemporary stuff. I wouldn't very strongly recommend the novels we read (other than Don Quijote) so I left those out.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Consider learning Catalan. You're in Barcelona man!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not going to happen. Concentrating on Spanish and Italian at the moment. Barcelona and my Spanish will get along just fine.

Oh forgot to mention another obvious choice which is obviously included: Don Quixote de la mancha

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are concentrating on Spanish and Italian, you'll pick up Catalan in your sleep si us plau.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:46 PM

Never read the book, but "The Motorcycle Diaries" was a very good movie. I'm sure the story would be compelling enough for a read.