Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Coffee Addicts Thread

One aspect which hasn't been mentioned yet (or I have missed it, apologies)is that it is mostly the combination of the coffee and the particular espresso machine you're using which determines the overall flavor. I've had great tasting coffee from mediocre brands and bad Illy coffee; it's really a matter of finding the right combination.

Otherwise I'm with Keikiwai on the merits of Illy. I've had many Italians swear to me it's the best coffee in the world; now it's probably fair to say that Italians are prone to occasional exaggeration, but they do know their coffee...
Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone suggest a manually operated grinder? I hate the electric grinders (sound), and I'm wondering if there's a decent option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposedly the best manual grinders can produce fine/espresso grinds(not necessarily coarse grinds) equal in quality to $400 electric grinders. The consensus is that Zassenhaus is the best, but Armin Trosser, "Pe De", "De Ve", KYM, Peugeot are supposed to be good as well. If you buy one via Ebay(usually go for $20-50 U.S. with shipping) , try to look out for intact, rust-free burrs.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use an Aerobie Aeropress "Espresso"/Coffee Maker. I greatly prefer espresso and the Aeropress makes a nice cup of faux espresso with not a lot of crema. It only costs $30 bucks or so and the coffee is much smoother and less acidic/bitter than coffee I make with a french press.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to reiterate how awesome and versatile this device is. It is fast, clean, versatile and makes a smooth cup(low acidity and bitterness).

Huge Coffeegeeks Thread on Aeropress Techniques and Modifications
Old 11-03-2007, 12:14 AM

does anyone have a list of cheap coffee that you can buy that tastes like starbuck's different types?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:34 AM

kkf,

Starbucks coffees are sold by region. Do you want information specific to their roasting process?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 PM

keikiwai - Does that X5 machine do only pods? or can it handle normal tamped down grinds? Sweet looking machine.

Has anyone tried Hausbrandt coffee?? Supposed to be amazing.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:13 PM

Here is the worlds most expensive coffee - trip report anyone?

The coffee beans are literally digested by the Luwak animal (which supposedly will only choose the best beans to eat) then the feces are processed. I'm quite skeptical but at only $220 a pound, might be worth a try for some of you Holla Ballas.

http://www.animalcoffee.com/index.php
Old 11-03-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The coffee beans are literally digested by the Luwak animal (which supposedly will only choose the best beans to eat) then the feces are processed. I'm quite skeptical but at only $220 a pound, might be worth a try for some of you Holla Ballas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would the effect be similar if I have my Illy beans travel through the intestinal tract of my Rottweiler?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would the effect be similar if I have my Illy beans travel through the intestinal tract of my Rottweiler?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if your Rotty is as picky as the Luwak as to which beans he eats. - [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Intelligentsia

And it isn't close. Unlike a lot of places, they buy directly from quality growers, not wholesalers. They roast in small batches. Their largest roast is 200 lbs. Starbucks smallest roast is 2000 lbs for their "special offerings".

If you happen to be in Chicago, you can take a very cool tour of their roasting works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool to know this, thanks. For LA people, they've been open for a couple months in Silverlake (on Sunset, at the Sunset Junction). The coffee is great the couple times I went, looks like I'm gonna go back and get some of their beans for home.

I have the same question as AZK regarding burr grinders for french press - anyone got a good rec? My friend strongly recommends the Ariete "Macinacaffe" Burr Grinder - but like to hear any other suggestions <$200 or so.

-Al